noisey pump on 99gtx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisey pump on 99gtx

hi all, got my ski back in the water after installing new sbt motor and rebuilding the carbs. with the ski on the trailer conected to the garden hose how much noise should be coming from the pump end of the ski. it sounds grindy and when you put your hand on the pump housing you can feel it coming from it.
    will motor alignment do this ? i just put the motor back in the same spot as before. i also pulled the back off the pump and checked the oil on the cone. it was almost full.
    thanks in advance!!
    dave

Grindy noises? That can't be good.

Without doing an inspection of all the parts I cannot make any suggestions as to how or what to fix. Mis-Alignment doesn't make grindy noises. it makes viberations and pre-mature wear on the couplers.

Did you grease the rear driveshaft bearing carrier ?
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

you must have missed something when you put it back together, did you get the drive shaft put in the pump?

Comment

I've found that if my ski's sit for a while without starting that any water left in the pump that might have leaked in will rust the bearings, thats if it sat while waiting for the rebuild. or it could be the alignment.
        be good,
        if you cant be good,
        be carefull
        if you can't be carefull,
        buy a pram

Comment

hi guys, the shaft slid right in the pump,
          and yes there was grease where the shaft
          slides in. i have put 5 hours on it so far
          and this noise is the only thing bothering me.
          are they noisey sitting there running out of water?
          can it be normal ?
          i will pull off pump and take apart and find the prob!
          thanks
          dave

Comment

A rattle sound is normal. A grinding sound is not.
            Bill O'Neal WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Is the black rubber gromit on the end of the shaft (pump end). What condition is the white plastic fitting (name escapes me) on the other end.
              97 GP1200/99 XPL<br />Head, intake and handling mods on both

Comment

yes, the grommet is on both ends! must be a bearing in there that i need to check!
                thanks all!
                dave

Comment

i took off the pump and removed the cone from the rear of pump. smells like hydralic fluid
                  about 85% oil and the rest water :(
                  the clanging sound is the front to rear play of the prop . it moves at least 1/16 " +.
                  is this normal or is the bearing just worn out?
                  thanks in advance

Comment

with the cone off pump it should move back and forth a little, are you sure the water was mixed in the oil? sometimes water gets in the cavity outside of the oil cavity on the cone, was your oil milky whiteish color?

Comment

that movement is normal if you look in the cone there is a pusher that keeps pressure on it so it doesn't go back and forth, and you said there was water, but they may not have been in the oil because on the cone there is some spaces that water can sit and when you pull the cone off the oil water look like they came from the same place, but if your oil is not white then there wasn't any water in the oil part of the pump, if it had a white color then there was some water in the oil

Comment

you may want to check the pusher inside the cone to make sure it is working properly,when the cone is installed and working this will put pressure on the shaft and will require some effort to move the shaft back and forth.

Comment

the oil was jet black. it didnt seem to mix with oil but ski has sat for 5 days.
                          i want to get this thing going again and also
                          want to put in a new prop!
                          which one do you guys recomend for more overall performance!
                          a .024 feeler gauge will slide in tight between wear ring and prop!
                          thanks again !!!
                          dave

Comment

Dave,
                            Sea Doo did their homework with their impellor choices, so changing the impellor to another brand probably won't change your performance much. Impellors are a compromise. Either better bottom end or better top end. Unless your impellor is one that isn't too great to start with, like on older model skis, there is very little to gain by swapping impellors. Best bet would be to have Impros blueprint your stock impellor.
                            Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

thanks bill
                              my prop has a few minor cuts in it where some trash and shells went through.
                              can impros still blue print with these minor
                              imperfections??
                              thanks
                              dave
                              the burrs are no more than 1/32, more like dents on the leading edge.

Comment

Working...
                              X