new sbt compression??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new sbt compression??

installed a new sbt 951 in my 99 gtx and puy at least 5 hours on it at the beach "st augustine" and then gave it a good flushing, 10 mins on the hose. then washed inside engine compartment to get any salt water spray and then brought home for one day.
    next day took off seat and noticed water condensation on everything so took off front compartment too and put a fan on it over night.
    today, a week later looked at the plugs for color and noticed a little water, condensation???
    well i looked at the plugs and they looked dark but had a funny stain. kinda grimmy. burning water???. the ski ran fine the day at the beach , a little rough on the low idle but was fun all day.
    it did however never get over an indicated 54 mph. old motor went to 60.
    then i took out an old compression tester and got 125 psi on both with the engine cold.
    is this low???
    never did warm it up because i had the pump off checking the prop.
    can water injection in the pipe get back to the cylinder???.
    kinda depressed with the whole thing now!!
    thanks for any advice. dave

[ September 21, 2002, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: h1dave ]

You may have several issues...

First, what is your exact flushing procedure step by step?

Second, please verify that gauge on another ski, or try another guage on yours. The odds of having both cylinders exactly 25 spi low is very unlikely.

Some condensation on the plugs after sitting is normal under some circumstances - i need your answer to #1 before commenting.

Forth, speedometer readings are completely meaningless. RPM is the measure of an engine's performance. You should see at least 6800 RPM from yours.

Comment

my flushing procedure use to be , hook up hose, turn on hose 1/2 turn, the two outlets would spray about 4 feet. within a minute i would start ski and run for 5 mins. i would then turn off hose and run for 10 more seconds.
      now i start ski first and then turn on hose and repeat as above!
      i always blip the gas a few times after i turn off the hose.
      i will buy a new compression tester today!
      thanks for your quick reply bryan [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

h1dave
        Dosen't stock the 951 have a 6.0:1 compression ratio?
        At 125 psi you are showing 7.25:1?
        I have read in some of these post that a
        2 cylinder should have 140-150psi how can
        this be with a 6.0:1 cp.
        Sea-Doo says that you can run 87 octane
        unleaded regular gas that would seem to be about right with a 6.0:1 motor. It would also
        seem to me that 91 or 93 octane would run
        rich in a stock motor.
        Help me out here Bryon.
        Doug
        PS: love the site

Comment

H1 - your 'new procedure' is correct, as long as you follwed that you should be alright. If you followed your first procedure, I would expect water in your engine as you described, and low compression from possible scoring.

Let us know what your new gauges says.

DRL - I'd have to check the CCR of the 951 against the manual, I don't know it off the top of my head - but 150+ cranking compression is normal.

Comment

hey guys
            i checked out my compression gauge on my h1
            race bike. it showed 170 psi. the gauge is correct!
            would sbt send me a rebuild with 125 psi ???
            if i do have a small water leak what is the likely place to check.
            is there a water pressure check i can do??
            thanks in advance!!!
            dave

Comment

No, 125 is below the standard. Call me Monday and I'll lookup the specs it shipped out with. Either way we need to swap that with you, it has damage.

Comment

Brian,
                A 951 stock normally blows 140 psi on a calibrated guage, at sea level, not 150.

Water can intrude into the clyinder that has the exhaust port open when the engine is shut off from condensation of moisture in the exhaust system/muffler. Droplets will form on the chamber and sparkplug.

It is important to blow as much water out as possible after riding, then fog the motor before you store it, even for one day.
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Sorry all
                  But I still don't under stand how a 6.0:1 motor
                  can have 140 psi.
                  140 is 8.0:1
                  Doug

Comment

Doug,
                    You cannot calculate ccompression ratios by using pumping numbers. Pumping numbers are relavent to cranking speed and many other factors.....
                    Bill O'Neal WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                    X