Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which service manual should I buy?

Hi,

Due to the incredible cost of having the local shop install a rebuilt engine in my 95 XP, I have decided to attempt it myself. This is a new adventure for me since I have never attempted anything like this before. I've got a feeling that I wll love and hate this decision.

Anyway, two questions:

1) I have downloaded the SBT remove/install doc and am using it. However, I think a service manual will probably give me some more detail on the parts, etc. Which manual should I purchase? The Clymer or Sea Doo?

2) I have already started the removal process. Are there any issues I should be concerned with other than those mentioned in the doc? I know I should have a qualified tech adjust the carbs when completed.

Thanks,

Novice

Buy the factory Sea-Doo manual. The '95 is a single edition, no supplement. I know part of the part #, you can walk into any Doo dealer and ask the fella to order it for you. I want to say 219-100-XXX, you will need the 3 digits to replace my supplied X's. Do not buy the Clymer, found too many inaccurrracies in the book I bought.

Make your self a diagram as to where the specific hoses go, similar to the "vacuum routing" label under the hood of you car, so you don't have to come back and ask "where does the 8mm hose go"......
    ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Ahhh, Clymer's Sea-Doo manual.....another fine product from Joe St. Louis!!!!!
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

John,

Your message is ambiguos; please clarify.

Also, is it your opinion that a machanical novice can indeed remove/install a jetski motor by using care and diligence? Or am I just being short-sighted? It's just too **** expenxeive to turn over to a shop.

Finally, the OEM Sea Doo manuals seem like they are for multiple models for a given year. Is there enough detail to guide me through this operation?

Thank

Novice (possible future jetski tech)

Comment

Like Capt. Toy. said, label all hoses / wires so that you know where they will connect. If you have a digital camera, take tons of pictures. If you just have a regular camera, still take a few good pictures of areas you may have trouble with. Any bolts/nuts/hardware that can be put back in place once something is taken out or apart might be a good idea. To me, the hardest part of doing a job like this is just remembering where everything goes. If you can do that, you will be fine.

Comment

Actually, the 95 Sea Doo is a very simple motor to rebuild. Buying a genuine oem manual is paramount to doing this job easily. Most models of that era are very much alike, wether it be a 580,650 or 720.

Be advised, an SBT remanufactored motor may end up being cheaper in the long run, and you get a no questions asked warranty.....
            Bill O'Neal WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Getting an SBT engine is the way I'm going. I'll have my hand full with the remove/install parties (yuck, yuck). I have ordered the Sea Doo Service manual. Please differentiate between rebuilt and remanufactored engines for me. Thanks.

novice

Comment

Rebuilt is picking and choosing the parts you need to replace, possibly keeping some old parts, and reusing your components.

A remanufactured block is all new parts, the core components being taken back to factory new first.

Comment

an assortment of COLORED ZIP TIES is your best friend. when you remove a hose, you can put one on the hose and one of the same color where the hose connects. DON'T say "I'll remember when I start putting it back together. Mabe the second or third time, but play it safe the first time. Also a lot of bags. you can put the part you removed along with the screws into the bag. Learn how to use the manual, and it won't let you down, but just follow SBT's instructions for removal, and installation and you will be fine. After this you probably will never bring your ski to a shop again.

Comment

Check Ebay.

Most times you can pick up a CD version of the manual for around $10-20.

Comment

Working...
                    X