No announcement yet.

SeaDoo just clicking - low battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've got either a leaking needle and seat in the carb or a leaking crank seal then it will only fill up one cylinder. Assuming you've got twin carbs, if one leaks it will only run into one cylinder. Make sure you turn gas off between rides.
    If you've got a leaking crank seal it will be leaking oil from the oil bath for the rotary valve gear. This oil bath is located in the centre of the motor between the 2 cylinders with a seal on either side on the crankshaft. A leaking seal will allow oil to get in under the piston from where it will find it's way up through the motor when you crank it.

Comment

I sure would be worried if I had a pile of glop on my rideplate. That is usually a sign of a leaking oil seal inside of the motor. Mixed with a little water, it will turn grey.
      Water can enter only one clyinder in such a case as if the hull is tipped the wrong way when you get the hull laying over on the wrong side. One exhaust port is always open when the engine is not running. An internal water leak from a bad base gasket will fill one side or the other too.

My advice to you is tear the motor completely apart and check it out. I will almost guarantee it is rusty inside AND it has an oil seal leaking. If I am right, and you continue to run this motor, it will disentegrate the crankshaft and counter balancer bearings and possibly blow a rod out of it. Better safe than sorry.

Usually, if an oil seal is bad you will see a milky film on the sparkplug and on the rave valve and piston top. At least check it out, maybe have a pro pwc mechanic look at it.

[ November 24, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Bill O'Neal ]
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Because it's the end of the season, can I winterize this and leave it for later? If it is rust, that's probably a bad idea?

Half of me wants to run it and make sure it goes ok because now that the liquid is out it starts up fine. Though I know that is not the case...

The other half of me wants to tear it down but I'm just intimidated by the sounds of the damage...
        <a href="http://www.flyerfaucet.com">
        Flyer Faucet Printing Services
        </a> Worldwide Leader In Full Color Printing

Comment

since your going to put it up anyway, remove the engine and tear it open. leaving it with water in it will cause the rotating section to rust and possibly seizing. then youll be removing it anyway.

Comment

After some time and reading and learning a bit more - I realize that it was never the battery - it was hydrolocking with oil.

I realized this when after 6 months, I came back to the entire oil tank drained into the motor.

I called 4 different shops, and 4 different answers of what the problem is - though, Tech Support's answer is by far the probable in my eyes. It is also what Barney's in St. Pete said - that it could be the crankseals, or they said it possibly could be a bad checkvalve because it was only coming out of the cylinders. Does this make sense to y'all ?

They said they couldn't tell what the problem is unless it's running - So, I shot the oil out of plug holes and got it to fire- and was thinking of taking it over there....

It works now, though of course I'm cautious to run it anywhere... And just concerned on if it's going to need a new bottom end...

It had grey sludge out of the exhaust while I ran it on the hose today.

What am I looking to spend on this, if need be?

Thanks in advance!!!
            -Brian

Comment

If it is the lower seals, you need a new crank. If you go with one of ours, you're looking at around $600 for them to do it.

If it's the check valves, under $100 with diagnosis.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I'm terrible in my explanations..

Essentially - I don't believe any of the liquid was rust or water, it was just oil.

I just have some sort of leak from the oil tank to the motor when it sits.

Can it be anything other than the Crank Seals or is that basically it... (especially with the sludgy grey un-combusted oil in the exhaust)?

-b

Comment

I'll say that 90% of the time when I hear this, it's the crank seals. It's a design flaw in the engines they there are center seals, just the nature of the beast.
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: SeaDoo just clicking - low battery?

hi i was reading your remarks on an engine ?this is on my 1997 seadoo xp 787/800 i just rebuilt my motor well i got it to run now iam getting two real low beeps it won,t start but when i get my battery back to full charge it will start and it is a new battery?plz reply thank you o and iam learning a lot on your site?

Comment

You need a new battery. 787 and 951 powered SD's won't start if the voltage is below about 10.1 V at the ignition when cranking the starter motor. They have an ignition protection system that shuts off the ignition so it will not get damaged from low voltage.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM
                      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

oky i will try a new battery? thank you again this site is the best because the people that help you no what they are talking about? thanks bill o' neal2

Comment

Working...
                        X