starter gear replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter gear replacement

have tried 2 different starters and batteries to no avail on 98 gtxl. did have it running but starting system did not sound right right off the bat.checked and sanded connections.starter does not engage all the time or sometimes turning the motor but not fast and sounds like it cuts in and out.
    i have a replacement gear out off my junk motor and your posts suggest this is a common problem on 98 gsxl.
    does the motor have to come back out?
    thanks
    TT

Do you mean 2 different starters, or 2 different starter bendix gears?
    - Craig<br /><br />'04 Baja 342<br />'04 GTX SC<br />'98 GTXL<br />'95 750 ZXI

Comment

2 different starters.
      i have not replaced the bendix yet.i was hoping it was not the problem.the starters are not to hard to replace but the starter gear/bendix replacement, the motor is going to have to come out (i believe) and i just put that motor in!!

[img]/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/spit.gif[/img] :(
      TT

Comment

The bendix gear is part of the starter if im thinking right. That means no need to pull the motor. Hope this helps.
        halie

Comment

True for all Sea-Doo engines *except* his, the 951.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You don't have to pull your 951 to check the bendix. You do have to pull the front motor mount, and since it is a GTX, I think you have to pull the pipe. I can get to it on my XPL without pulling the pipe. You then pull the mag cover and the flywheel. I had to change a bendix and starter on the side of the lake the morning of a race. Not fun.

Comment

Replaced the bendix on my '98 GTXL early this spring. There was no way I could have done it without pulling the engine. For a big boat, it's very tight in the engine compartment.

For one thing, the front motor mount bracket is ON the magneto cover. So you have to unbolt the motor to remove the magneto cover. To unbolt it, you need to remove the pipe. To remove the pipe, you should remove the carbs.

Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure you need a special tool to remove the flywheel to remove the magneto. I pulled the engine and took it to the dealer. They removed the flywheel while it sat in the back of the truck in about 2 minutes.

If it's the bendix, figure on a lost 2 nights. I took the engine out Thursday evening, took it to the dealer Friday, and had it back together Friday night...It was a lot of work, though.
              - Craig<br /><br />'04 Baja 342<br />'04 GTX SC<br />'98 GTXL<br />'95 750 ZXI

Comment

thanks everyone for the imput.i pulled the cover off the dead motor i have laying around to see how hard it is to replace the starter drive.motor is going to have to come out after i just put it in!!i will address the flywheel issue when i get it out.
                !!#%**
                tom [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
                TT

Comment

I don't pull engines to swap the bendix.

I pull the pipe, the bolts from the top and bottom of the motor mount. Put a block of wood under the front of the motor and remove the mag housing, leaving the oil lines and cable connected to the pump. Pull the flywheel, then the bendix. Reverse this process to install the new bendix.

No need to pull the carbs if you buy the $14.00 pipe nut wrench at Sea Doo.....
                  Bill O'Neal WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

hey bill,
                    are you able to get a puller in there and work it and if so any particular type of puller or brand you use?
                    thanks
                    TT

Comment

Working...
                    X