800 Crank and Counter Balance Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 800 Crank and Counter Balance Gears

Hey, Bryan I have emailed (bglynn@sbtontheweb.com)you a pic can you please post it on this subject, Thanks!! :D

And then you and Bill or/and John or/and anyone else PLEASE answer my question.

I am about to put my 800 crankcases together, in the seadoo manual it shows that the crank gear mark lines up in the center of the counter balance shaft gear groove/notch, but as you can see mine dosent seem to line up in the center???? [img]/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img] Is this commonl?? Does Bill or the SBT workers see this misalignment?
    I have tried it one tooth the other way but its even further out?? :(
    Thanks...

[ October 07, 2002, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Using the edge of the case half mating surface as the standard of the centerline, place the crank into the case half and align the center of the rod pins even with the case half. Then do the same with the center notches of the counterbalancer shaft weights on the oppsite side of the case half.

As long as the crankshaft is centered, and the counterbalancer is also centered, it will be in proper alignment. Remember, the counterbalancers of the two shafts should be opposite of each other (counter).
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

You have it right.

Comment

Bryan, when you say I have it right, I assume you have looked at the picture, and can see the misalingnment, is this a 'normal' factory thing to be slightly out? Just mass production?

Bill, I did what you said lined the crankpins up with the cases, and the counter balance shaft notchs with the cases, and it still lines up like the above picture. It lines up ok, its just not perfect, with the crank lined up the (rear, smaller weight) counter balance shaft notch is about 1mm above above the cases, while the front (large, gear) weight is about 1mm lower. Its as if the gear on the cb shaft isnt in the correct spot by about 1mm. Even thou it looks machined as 1 peice?? Is this still ok?? :D

Comment

It's not misaligned - the factory punch overlaps on a tooth and a valley, you have it right. Could they have made it a little clearer? Yes.

Comment

You are DA man!!

Comment

Re: 800 Crank and Counter Balance Gears

Click image for larger version

Name:	notch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	254060Click image for larger version

Name:	crank.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	254059i dont have a crank mark or notch. ive looked for ever. I did find the one on the counter balance fast and easy but not the one on the crank (787 engine). Need I first remove the bearing that sits in front of ithe gear and behind the PTO seal to see the mark on the crank? i could only imagine this is why. But the pic above for the example posted shows the mark with the bearing on...? I just slpit this baby open and wana make sure ive got it marked before I pull it out for the parts washer. I opened it to check lower end, ended up pretty grimey in here and needs to be cleaned. i attached a picture of the notch that I can see which is on the counterbalance along with with notch I cant see. check it out, lemme know!!!! currently still aligned correctly since I havent pulled it out yet,so the other notch should be right there where it would align....

Comment

The notch is not a "notch" but more of a scribe/scratch, mark, line....
                Dan Solie -
                04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                94 xp (freestyle mods)
                95 xp (faster than the 94)
                JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal View Post
                  Using the edge of the case half mating surface as the standard of the centerline, place the crank into the case half and align the center of the rod pins even with the case half. Then do the same with the center notches of the counterbalancer shaft weights on the oppsite side of the case half.

As long as the crankshaft is centered, and the counterbalancer is also centered, it will be in proper alignment. Remember, the counterbalancers of the two shafts should be opposite of each other (counter).
                  wow - apparently my engine was misaligned the entire time. so if I follow the instructions above using the center of the rod pins aligned ven ewith the edge of the case as stated, which side of the case half to I reference. because having pin #1 on aligned on the left, and pin #2 aligned on the right of the case - make a 180 degree difference vs having pin #1 aligned on the right and pin #2 aligned on the left. Does this not matter?!? Would it not have the timing totally opposite if referenced off the wrong side? see pics below to explain what I mean, I point out the two options/sides.... Does this matter?!?!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Balancer is off, re-align it and the engine will run much better, the weights have to oppose each other and roll into each other.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Im taking this crank out now for cleaning so I wana make sure I got it right when putting back in:

when I align the counterbalance to the crankshaft according to the marks on the crankshaft, which rod pin (the one closest to the PTO or the MAG) do I align with which side of the case matting (I imagine with the side the Rotary Valve comes out of). Thanks!

Comment

the crank weights and counter balancer weights oppose each other and when the crank is rotated the weights roll in together and roll out equally.

Comment

Also, as a note.. That CB shaft looks like poop..
                          Dan Solie -
                          04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                          94 xp (freestyle mods)
                          95 xp (faster than the 94)
                          JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Working...
                            X