91 XP starting issues... Almost there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 XP starting issues... Almost there

First off, you guys to a great job here. Technical Support and Bill are awesome. I have been on lots of boards and here are two guys who give give give.

Anyhow, onto my issue. I have tried everything, but here is a rundown. To get my SeaDoo running when cold I can try forever, doesn't even want to TRY to start. I take the plugs out and put in ~5 drops of gas and it fires right up, every time, and it's good until I let it cool down again.

I have tried removing the gas cap before starting. The fuel filter is clean, if I empty it and crank it the filter will fill right back up. Spark looks good. After cranking so much the battery dies the plugs are a little wet, but not dripping or anything and there is no mist when turning it over without plugs.

I hope this sounds typical and has a typical solution. I am a car guy by nature and can turn a wrench but this is all new to me.

Thanks guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Wes

I assume you are pulling the choke right out and leaving the throttle closed when cranking?

If so, try a search on rotary valves (worn or scored) on the board. I believe hard starting is a symptom.

Comment

I would rebuild your carbs and replace your needle & seats - they are probably sticking.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

First try the obivious. Make sure the low speed adjuster(s) are opened 1.25 to 1.50 turns from closed. If they are, then rebuild the carb(s) as the fuel is not getting through them and into the motor.

You have established the fact that the fuel pump is working, and that you have spark. So now you need the fuel to get past the needles and seats and through the jets. One of those two things is stopping your fuel flow into the motor.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks guys. I opened the low speed adjusters another 1/4 turn, so we'll see tomorrow. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X