98xp carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98xp carb question

I just had this 98xp rebuilt, went through carbs, etc. I am currently in the breakin stage. I was wondering about the 3/4 throttle position, I've been told if not careful, it could seize a piston. How true is this with this 98xp? It is 100% complete stock and jetted to the specifications. Do I need to change something to avoid this or just don't go full throttle?
    Thanks,
    96xper.

Full throttle is actually much safer. For emmisions reasons, those carbs (all 951's) are extremely lean at the 3/4 range, and extended riding at that range is to be limited. There is nothing you can do without adding aftermarket filters and rejetting to make it a bit safer. Contact www.watercraftmagic.com for a kit deal.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

How about different carbeurators, like Novi's or something like that instead of the mikuni oem ones? I already plan on calling Bill up and harrassing for a while on the phone, hehe, like I did last time. Gonna get the kit anyways. Would different carbs be better?
      Thanks again,
      96xper.

Comment

Not on a near stock ski.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

what I meant by changing the carbs was would it matter then if I had it at 3/4'sthrottle? I am trying to avoid that spot already, but saying having other carbs would not fix the problem to where you can ride at 3/4's throttle?
          Thanks,
          96xper.

Comment

Yes, Aftermarket carbs, such as Novi's can be much better in the midrange, because they are not designed with emmissions nor fuel milage as the primary goal of the carbureators.

And they will make the boat accellerate much harder when tuned correctly, even if the motor is otherwise stock, or close to stock.
            Bill O'Neal WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks Bill, and i just sold my 46's, let me see if I can't buy them back, hahaha.
              Thanks,
              96xper.

Comment

Working...
              X