engine ceased again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine ceased again

On 8/24/01 we had out '97 SeaDoo's engine rebuilt. This summer the engine ceased again. The repair shop said that it ceased because of lack of oil. They said there was sludge in the oil filter and that caused the failure. They said that sludge in the oil filter is caused by using 4 stroke oil. We have never put anything in except Bombadier Symthetic as specified in the owners manuel.

Is this shop searching for excuses because they rebuilt the engine and it fail or is there some truth to what they are saying? What should we look at or have them look at?

Can we have the oil in the filter tested to see if 4 stroke oil has ever been used?

What type of warranties are customary on rebuilt engines?

Thanks

Are you aware of anyone using 4 stroke oil in it? I believe 4 stroke oil would cause a blockage.

Sounds like there making excuses though.

2001....your warranty is most likely up

Comment

Unless it was an SBT motor, or some other motor with a warranty, and you are still under warranty, you are probably out of luck.

Where was this motor installed? At a Sea Doo dealership?
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I am most certain there has never been any 4 stroke oil put in the Seadoo.

The work was done at an authorized dealer - Woods Honda in Austin, TX.

I will check with them which engine the put in the machine

Is there someplace I can send the filter for analysis to dispute their claims?

Comment

I'm not aware of anyone doing such work, but there may be somewhere...

Sludge can also be from mixing different brands of 2-stroke oil - are you sure only one brand was used by everyone on that ski?
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes, the only oil used has been the recommended Bombardier Synthetic oil.

Could something have gone wrong with the engine overhaul that casued the failure?

Is there something else we should be looking at?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Only if the brass gear was sheared, and they didn't change the oil filter.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
              X