96 XP 800 Carb tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP 800 Carb tuning question

Hi. I have a '96 XP 800 that's never quite run correctly. It has a lot of mods done to it from a previous owner. Anyway, the thing is showing symptoms of incorrect carb settings. I'm not sure what direction to go.

The carb currently has a problem at low RPM. I just rebuilt the carbs over winter and already had them apart looking for dirt. It has a 2.0 needle/seat, 80 low jet and a gold spring. To me, it seems to load up. The reason that I suspect that is because it only happens after it idles for a while. The response after 1/3 throttle is hold on for your life acceleration. But under 1/3 it will only rev up quickly if I don't let it idle. If I let it idle for any amount of time it will bog and I'll have to feather the throttle for 10 seconds or so until it starts to go.

I'm not sure if I should be changing the jet or the pop off pressure. The plugs look really good -- like the machine is running perfect. I should also mention that I have brand new needle/seats in there. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

I would up your pop-off pressure. Have you measured it yet? You may be able to just install a set of 1.5 N&S, but I would use a gauge to get it around 25 psi. Doubling up the metering block check valve may alos help that.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

According to the Mikuni tuning manual my pop off should be at 32 psi with the gold spring and a 2.0 needle/seat. The gold spring is the highest gram spring that they make so I would need to change out the needle/seat to raise the pop off. I believe that changing the low speed jet to a smaller size will also work but I'm not positive. I'm afraid that I don't know what the metering block check valve is? If you could point me in the right direction I would sure appreciate it. Thank you.

Comment

Don't go by a chart - MEASURE your setting now and see where you are at.

The jets have nothing to do with pop-off.

The metering block check valve is the thin slice of micaplastic on the underside of the ovalish block on the regulator side, right next to the N&S. The block held down by the two taper head screws...
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I would install a 75 low speed jet into the carbs if they were mine.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X