carb tuning problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb tuning problems

I have tryed to tune this thing until i am blue in the face and i am having no luck when it comes to out of the hole.

I have the highs at 0 turns out from closed and the lows at 1 3/4 from closed, but i cannot seem to get this thig to accelerate all the time when i snap the throttle. I have tried 1 turn out all the way to 2 3/4 out on the lows.

Sometimes it will jump up and go..EXAMPLE.. I warm the engine up and then try to snap the throttle and it accelerates slow, i then let it come to an idle and try it immediatley after and it jumps right out of the water. If i let it idle for about 30 seconds and try it again, it accelerates slow. Any ideas?

You are positive the needles and seats hold steady pressure, like over 20 lbs for at least a few minutes? They are not dribbling fuel? You are positive???

Are there any mods to any part of this ski? Any re-jetting or filters added to it?
    BTW, what ski do you have, again?
    Is the impellor stock ? Is the muffler getting so full of water it won't accellerate?
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Sorry about that. It,s a 97 XP and evrything is stock.

I have done a visual check on the needles and i see no leaks, but i have not done a pressure test..don't have the tool.

How do you tell if the muffler is filling up. just pop it off after you put a load on it?

Forgot to mention..it has a tiny dent in the impellor, could this be the problem..sorry i just remembered that

[ May 29, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

A tiny dent in the impellor won't usually cause anything but pump cavatation, but you should send it to Impros for his magic.

You cannot "visually" tell much about a needle and seat by looking at it. The proper proceedure is to remove the jet cover plate, lay the carb on the bench with the needle and seat facing up, flood the area with gas or WD40, then pump up some pressure (about 20 lbs.) and let it set and see if it leaks. Bubbles will appear as it leaks off. If it leaks at all, replace the needles and seats. If it does not create bubbles, then continue pumping and note at what PSI that the needles open and "pop-off".

You verified that your accellerator pump is functioning correctly and the two nozzels are squirting gas into the carb bores, right?

No, removing the muffler won't tell you much. I mean, is the water regulator is functioning correctly ? Not leaking any water onto the muffler at high rpm while riding the boat in the water? Look for tell-tell water stains on the muffler under the water regulator. If it malfunctions, it can send too much water to the pipe at WOT, or flood the muffler with too much water at low rpms. Then when you gas it, the motor might hesitate until it blows the excess water from the muffler and allows the pipe and motor to breathe and accellerate.

Is your impellor stock? If you have too big of an impellor, it will bog on starts....

Last but not least is ignition timing. Checked by a dealership with a programmer. If the motor is retarded, it will bog on starts.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Yes, both carbs are getting fuel..i did verify that.

Muffler seems fine, but i will doublecheck it again.

I will just change the needles out anyways, can't be that expensive.

When i get the extra money i will take it to my dealer and have them check the ignition timing with there programmer.

One last question. When it bogs slightly am i hurting my engine or is it just an inconvienance? cause i want to ride it and i don't have the money right now to take it to the dealer.

Also, i seem to get the best color on the plugs when the screws are almost all the way out from closed..a light golden brown..would turning the highs out some do anything? would raising the idle help?

Comment

"will raiseing the idle help"...... My crystal ball is on the blink today. Where is it idling now ? It should be idling at aound 1400-1500 rpm in the water.

I did not ask if both carbs are getting fuel. I asked if the injectors are both squirting fuel. Are they?

Don't check the muffler, check the water regulator on the muffler for leaks.

Bogging is inconvient, yes, but it will not hurt your motor.

There is something wrong if your needle adjusters need to be "all the way out"....

The highs should be almost completely closed and the lows should be out about 1.25 to 1.50 turns from closed.

Are there any aftermarket parts on this ski? Like filters or a different impellor?

What is the pumping compression of each clyinder?
            Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

No aftermarket parts anywhere on the ski.

I'm not sure what the idle is, i have no tach.
              But it moves around 1-2 mph in the water, and who knows if that is right since my speedo keeps cutting in and out.

I'll check the compression as soon as i get my hands on a gauge

I'll check the injectors also.

Thanks

[ May 30, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

Bill, you say the Highs should be "ALMOST" completley closed. There at 0 like everyone has said to do, should i turn them out an 1/8 or so?

Checked the water regulater, no signs of leaking. Still waiting to get a gauge to test compression.

[ May 30, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

The boat should be moving at about 4 mph when idling correctly. Try turning the idle screw up.

Zero is fine, do not add to your problems by adjusting them.
                  Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Thanks Bill.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, i just have no experience when it comes to carbs. I'll check the compression and if thats good i will mess with the idle and see where that gets me.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Finally checked the compression and it is fine. The water regulater is fine. I turned the idle up and that helped tons but it still wants to bog sometimes out of the hole. I snapped the throttle about 30 times today and probaby 10 of those times it wouldn't jump right up. Tech support says my lows may not be adjusted right.."BUT" WOULDN'T IT DO IT ALL THE TIME THEN? my needles and seats are fine and the accelerator pump seems to be working..but could it be screwing up occasionaly, or do they just go all together? It seems to run just great most of the time, but if it boggs sometimes there has to be something wrong. i have been adjusting the lows to get it to quit bogging, not by reading plugs. I tried 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 out from closed and no change. Highs are at 0.

My plugs are always black and dry on the end of the threaded part and choclate brown on the porcelin part when i come back in, but of course thats checking after i idle in...and not sure but looks like black deposits on them..wish i had a cam to take pics.

Like i said it seems to run great most of the time, but there are the times where it just want to jump up and go like it should.

Anymore ideas tech support or Bill?

Thanks alot

Comment

How long do you idle the ski before you throttle it wide open?
                        My 96xp use to do that because the waterbox would fill up, my ski was running rich, and those two combinations after idling for more than a minute would bog me down. So I'd flip the throttle a few times to clear it up, then came to a stop and punched it, worked like a charm. Try that out.

good luck,
                        96xper.

Comment

Try backing the trailor into the water with the ski on it and let the motor idle a couple of minutes. Pull the sparkplugs and see if they are soaking wet with fuel. If so, you have a carbureator problem, like leaking needles and seats.
                          Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Thanks Bill, i'll try that.

96xp, i sometimes let it come to and idle and immediatly snap the trhrottle and it jumps right up, "BUT" not always...if i let it idle for 30 seconds or more it boggs, "BUT" once again not always.

And another thing, when i first take it out for the day it runs like complete crap until it is fully warmed up, I mean i have to feather the throttle back and forth until i can get max rpms. I'm not used to these pwcs..is this normal when stone cold? It's like it's not getting enough fuel, but once warmed up it runs great, other than the sporadic bog.

Forgot the mention 96xper, i do that with the throttle..hit it a couple times and it does clear up and it will go..but is this normal? I see no signs of problems with the regulator, but should i just replace it anyways?

[ June 02, 2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

Well guys, i think i'm officially a bonehead..i have been reading the wrong part of the plug..i have been reading the outer edge"round end" and not the part that comes out over the porcelin..that is the correct way right? Because that was choclate brown..don't i feel stupid.

True newbie here.

It is tuned right but it does what 96xper says...if you tap the throttle and let it come to an idle then go WOT it takes right off. I see no signs of leaking from the regulator but is there any way to adjust it, or do i just need to replace it? And could there be any other possibilty for this?

Comment

Working...
                              X