96 GTX speedometer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GTX speedometer problems

on my 96 gtx my speedometer jumps when i ride around and not a steady reading. it use to work when i first bought it; but now jumps all the time. please help with this and more importantly my carb problems, please.
    Andrew

check the little wheel on the back of the ski that is attached to the ride plate.

Comment

what is the "ride plate" and what little wheel? im kind of new at the jet ski terms and stuff please help.
      thanks
      Andrew

Comment

The ride plate is the plate on the bottom of the ski below the pump in the rear of the ski. If you are looking at the back of the ski, look below the pump nozzel and to the left. You should see a small paddel wheel. that is your speed sensor.

Comment

do you mean up under the ski where the little grill is where it sucks up water and sea weed?
          Andrew

Comment

Back farther - just look, you'll see it.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

GO TO THE BACK OF THE SKI. LOOK WHERE THE WATER COMES OUT OF THE PUMP NOZZLE. THEN LOOK A LITTLE LEFT AND DOWN. YOU WILL SEE A PADDLE WHEEL. TURN IT AND SEE IF IT HAS A PIECE MISSING. IT SHOULD SPIN FREE WITH NO RESISTANCE. IT IS COMMON FOR THEM TO BREAK OFF AN ARM OR TWO CAUSING THE SPEDO TO BE INACCURATE AND JUMP AROUND. COULD ALSO BE A BAD ELECTRONIC PICK UP.
              WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Mine is bad, the body that holds the wheel is cracked and missing one of the back bolts. Anyone know of a place online that sells them?
                Thanks
                Rickster

Comment

www.hlsm.com

Comment

i found the wheel and its all intact. i guessing that i have a bad electrical pick up. how can i repair it and how much would it cost??
                    Andrew

Comment

I know Yamaha has a $15 repair kit for the sending unit, Sea-Doo may have a similar kit, check with your dealer.

Comment

could it be a fuse or a cut wire, i mean can i fix it myself first?
                        Andrew

Comment

There's no fuse. It may be a break in the wire, just follow it to he box and check it out.

Comment

FOLLOW THE WIRE FROM THE THRU HULL GROMMET TO THE 3 WIRE CONNECTER. IT WILL BE NEAR THE REAR OF THE ENGINE SOMEWHERE. TAKE IT APART AND BE SURE THE PUSH TOGETHER CONNECTION ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT.COMMON PLACE FOR CORROSION AND WATER INTRUSION.
                            WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Working...
                            X