Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering/Reduction Nozzle

Hello Forum

I was just wondering on my 97 XP the stock steering nozzle has a vertical bar at the end of the opening, and the thrust side of this has a flat (blunt) edge, should this be a sharp edge as to direct the thrust easily to either side of itself? Also what would happen if I removed this bar? Increased speed and less turning ability???

Do the aftermarket steering nozzles have this bar? or does the extended length help to make up for the bar not being there, and still being able to turn well? What is the difference between different length steering nozzles? Does it just turn better the longer it is??

Also I have .020" impeller/wear ring clearance, the manual says .040" is the limit, my question is how much will this .020" clearance decrease performance by, and will it be top end or take-off or both? I noticed there are slight signs of cavitation (looks like erosion) on the front edge on the sides of the impeller about half way, on all three blades (stock impeller) is this becasue of the wear ring clearance? I understand a bend impeller causes cavitation also, but surely all 3 blades wouldnt be bent??

Thanks Fellas. :D

If even one blade is bent, the cavitation burns will be on all three blades. .020 is not excessive, but not perfect either.
    Cavitation can be caused by other factors, like a loose ride shoe that needs to be re-sealed to the hull, or a heavy rider on takeoff.

An extended steering nozzel will cause a slight change in the steering feel, as it takes more rider imput into the bars to turn the boat. The OEM bar in the nozzel aids turning, does not slow the boat down any measurable amount.

Unless you make other changes, like impellor pitch or mods that add up to lots more rpm, the oem nozzels are the best for the stock boat. Once you make major rpm changes, there can be other alternatives when it comes to nozzel choices. The steering nozzel does not affect the speed as much as does the venturi nozzel. The venturi nozzel controls the pump pressure and thus the amount of thrust produced by the pump and impellor.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks Bill

So will the .020" be causing any speed or take off loss? if so could guess how much?

I guess what my real question is should I change the wear ring?

Thanks Fellas [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

It should not affect the top speed at all. It could very slightly afftect the out of the hole performance, especially with a heavy load like two up riding. It is still within specs.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

You are the man!!! :D
          Thanks DUDE!!! [img]/graemlins/cwm27.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X