No announcement yet.

priming oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I re-read my post....i don't think your getting me.

It died after the oil line break, it spittet and sputtered then quit.........i replaced the line and he took it out, it ran great for 10 miniutes and just flat out died. Got it to shore and it fires on the trailor.

Nothing is locked up....thats why i'm trying to figure out if it is a partiall seizure or an electrical problem.

Thanks

Comment

Steve, I guess i need to slow down and read with care before i post i missed the part about it quiting after the oil line was replaced. But my suspecions would still be with the crank. They wont run long with out oil and not cause damage.

yes oil will foul a plug if poured directly into the cylnder. how much did you pour in and how long until it quit? Did you pour it in and it died right after startup or did you pour it in and it quit later?

Comment

I poured a half a teaspoon in each cylinder, and spun it by hand just to lube it up. I went down to the lake with him and we backed it into the lake and it fired right up....let it idle for 10 miniutes, no spitting or sputtering.

He took it out, ran it for about 10 miniutes and it died at about 75% throttle.

He yanked the plugs, no blow by, and it cranked great with the plugs in and out."BUT" WOULD NOT START"

So we were like what the f***.

He got towed back and we took the plugs out and cranked it....just fine. Put the plugs back in and it fired right up. No spitting or sputtering or any sign of sezing....like i said, he has not put it back in the water yet, so who knows.

What the crap?

Anyone got a clue?

Comment

if it ran for ten minutes I wouldent think it was the oil you poured in it would burn what was on the piston at startup and what made its way to the bottom would burn off very fast. I would assume that when it quit wasent the first time he was at 75% throttle. You may get luckey and it not be seized.

Comment

Thanks mellow...

Thats why i am confused here. He ran it for 10 miniutes and it ran like a raped ape, and then nothing. Ran it on the trailor and it fires right up.....

When i was priming the 2 lines going from the pump to the intake, could i have killed the battery? Could that have caused it to die like that all of a sudden?

Comment

If it had the juce to start and is charging that shouldent be your problem. If i was in your shoes i think i would pull the intake and exhaust just for a look then you will Know if its mechanical or not. Also did you run a compression test?

Comment

not yet...on my agenda for tommorro.

But, why would it fire right up after that, and why did it run like a raped ape and just fall off the earth?

I guess either tear it apart or track down crappy wires

this is me ....this is the weirdest thing i have ever seen

Comment

mellow, i have not pulled the head yet...but i was re-reading the posts.

How can it be the crank when there is constant oil in the oil bath?

Comment

If I read this correctly...an engine failed, presumibly due to lack of oil, it was not replaced or rebuilt, the original problem was assumibly corrected by replacing an oil line, yet no failure determination was made, nor a compression test has been done yet?
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes tech support that is correct....

But, i have done a compression test on it and it's a bit low, but i believe to be fine140/135.

Like i said, it died, he brought it back and it fired on the trailor....and still firing today on the trailor

Comment

BTW... the battery was dead..could that have caused it to just die like that, even though it started and ran for 10 miniutes?

It's been on the charger for 2 hours and still not kicking off.

Comment

No, that's not fine, that's very damaged. It needs to be pulled and torn down for inspection.

Comment

No, this is not the battery, although it may be damaged or worn - it does not cause those symtoms. It is damaged, pure and simple.

Comment

gotcha.....guess i'll be working on 2 pieces of crap this week......lol........

Hey, i'm gonna be sending my motor back when i get the label....can you give me an idea how long it will be before i get the replacement?

Also, i'm gonna re-do the compression test....it may have thrown the readings off using a weak battery...whenever i get to it, i still need to yank mine....lol

[ July 27, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

I couldn't say, I don't deal with those figures. When it gets back here Julie will call you and let oyu know. Inventory changes daily this time of the year, we are selling beyond our daily production at this point. It won't be too long though.

Comment

Working...
                                X