96 XP Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP Performance

I am having a problem with my 96 XP. It looses power intermittently. It will be running fine with plenty of power and then suddenly has no power. It does not shut down but you can hold the gas wide open and it just barely moves.

If this happened suddenly, take a compression check, and the first thing I would do is go through your fuel system - rebuild the carbs, check your fuel lines and filters, etc.

Does it make any difference if you hold the choke or feather the throttle?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Pull the muffler out and shake it. If it rattles, replace it.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

could be a bad rectifier
        2005 RXP
        2003 SC GTX
        2004 XP-DI
        - PPG Full Level One (MPEM, Head, F/A)
        - PPG repitched 15/20 Solas Prop
        - PPG trued Rideplate w/speedo block
        - Worx Sponsons
        - Worx Intake Grate
        - Jet Trim Seat Cover
        - R&D Pump Wedge
        - Hydro-Turf Mats
        - New Sea-Doo Grips
        - Custom Decals
        - Red Peril Powdercoated Head

Comment

It does not make a difference if you feather the throttle, but it will shut off if you hold the choke.

Comment

My XP800 did something very similar. It would run fine then intermittently it would lose everything but it would never die, it would idle fine but anything past that it would fall on its face. seemed like it was hitting a rev limiter at like 3000 rpm? Sometimes it would last a minute, or 5-10 minutes or more, then it would just start running fine again. Choking it did nothing, i suspected something electronic b/c electronic problems can be very intermittent, if you work on cars this is no surprise, anyways, MPEM fixed mine.
            Resistance checks don't always pan out, check your connections, make sure you dont have any wire shorted to power ground or each other. Your best bet is to find someone with the same boat and start swapping parts(after you check for shorts that is) But first rule out the possible mechanical problems, bad rectifier could cause that also, DC modules dont like AC current (they get confused and go haywire)
            Good luck

Comment

Thanks, that is exactly what our XP is doing.

Comment

read my thread from a few months ago

Comment

We replaced the rectifier and now our XP runs great! Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Working...
                  X