951 carb adjustments after adding Prok w/outerwears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 carb adjustments after adding Prok w/outerwears

This is probably a newbie question, but, I was wondering if after installing Proks w/ outerwears and the rejet kit, will I have to do much tuning on the carbs? Will I have to adjust the pop off pressure too?

Also, should the rear carb be set richer than the front carb? if so, how much?

If carb adjustments are needed, whats the best way to go about it?

Andrew

you should read your plugs. Do your instructions recommend switching the pop off? if not then dont mess with it. I would start with a set of new plugs and go from there. Look for a chocolate brown color on the plugs. The instructions should give you a base adjustment for your carbs. The rear one should be slightly richer . i usually set them up that way for all twin motors. The rear seems to run hotter on yamahas and kawasakis, but Im sure it also applies to SDs.
    Rob

Comment

I just finished (hopefully) fine tuning my '99 XPL, w/flys (blue Proks), outerwares, and a PPG rejet kit. There was no need to tweak the popoff pressure, with this kit it checked at 19.5 PSI on a calibrated gauge, it should have been 20.0 PSI but it wasn't worth chasing.

I ended up richening the rear high speed screw abouut 3/16 of a turn more than the front; I richened both slightly (estimated 1-5/8 turns out) from the suggested starting point (PPG rejet kit) to acheive a consistent 7000 RPM on the stock tach all the way across the lake. I ended up leaning out the low speed adjusters to 1-1-4 turns for an optimum idle.

For a good guide to carb tuning, check out this link
      http://www.groupk.com/carbtune98.html

Good luck, and remember, better rich than sorry!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

We also have a good guide for tuning, in our Technical section here.

Comment

Working...
        X