Removing impeller/aligning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing impeller/aligning

Is there a SBT tech article explaining how to remove the impeller/shaft to align the engine. I went to IMPROS and their article says that you have to remove the entire pump assembly to get the impeller out. I plan on removing the impeller and sending it to impros. Is this instruction correct, I have to remove the entire pump and pump housing to do this? 1998 SD GTX ltd.
    98 GTX Ltd, 95 XP, 99 Mastercraft

Correct.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

so this is what is required to align the engine using the SD alighnment tool as well? Seems like such a pain in the *** .

Comment

True, compared to finger couplers like Yamaha or Kawi.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It's no big deal to pull the pump. If your only servicing the impellor, you don't have to align the motor when re-installing.

Comment

I installed an SBT engine over the winter, and still haven't aligned it. I have only used it a few hours due the the bad northeast weather, but I'm thinking about taking week and

1) Pulling the carbs and sending them to bill for rebuild, filters, & outerwears

2) Pulling the impeller and sending it to Impros

3) Getting an alignment tool from SBT and aligning it while the pump is out.

If its nasty out this weekend i'm gonna pull everything and send it out monday.

**** these things are expensive.

[ June 11, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: tommyadrian5 ]

Comment

I feel your pain, as I too live in the NE. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

YO Dude....

You installed a New Rebuit Engine from SBT, and didnt align it before you ran it?

Anytime you loosen, remove, or otherwise unbolt the "Engine" you have to align it. If you dont align the engine, you'll be spending money on a new engine becuase you crank bearings are gonna get shot from it not being aligned, and run the risk or possibly wearing out your pump beaing.

After replacing my new SBT engine, the alginment process is rather easy.

Why are you sending the impeller out? Did you suck up some rocks or something to damage it?

Comment

Its just got a few little spots of rust on it, not as smooth as a new one, figured it wouldn't hurt to have it balanced, repitched, and refinished as long as it's out of the boat. How hard is it to remove the impeller once the pump is out of the boat?

Comment

Working...
                  X