93 GTX compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 GTX compression

Well...got motor all put together....carefully broke in....very gently..... never going full throttle or even 3/4 for more than a second or two. Oil pump is pumpin....everything runs great...real crisp...very little smoke...just about through first 10 gallons of gas...compression test... #1...148ish....#2 .....135ish.. Will it get better or worse? EGT says barely 950 every once in a while when I rev on the water. These things idle fast tooo huh? bout 4~mph at 13~1400 RPM.
    (snap on Compression tester)
    Jim

What brand parts, clearance and ring gap did you use? squish?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Parts were WSM, end ring gap was within the specs in the Sea Doo Service manual but i must admit I did not perform the squish band test.

Comment

So you didn't actually do it then? Without knowing what the ring gap and clearance was actually set at, no one can guess what's causing the lack of compression, unless you see scoring damage.

Comment

So...Should i perform the Squish test now...and compare the two cylinders? ...

Comment

Squish won't change - I just want to see where it's at.

And do you not know what clearance it was setup for?

Comment

I don't guess I understand. What clearence what was setup for? I simply rebuilt the top-end with new, std. pistons and rings. The end-gap was within the specs outlined in the service manual. There was no damage done to head or cylinder from the last failure. Simply set too long and rusted the cylinders. Honed and replaced the pistons and rings. Cleaned up nicely too.

Comment

Piston to cylinder. If you have no idea what it was at or how much you honed out, how do you know you didn't go over the max clearance??

Comment

Put another 10 hours on the motor and re-check the compression with a fully charged battery. Always test a clyinder three times to get an accurate number. Maybe the rings are not completely seated ?

Next time, buy quality parts..... This is only my opinion, but WSM has the least quality of any that I have ever used.
                  Bill O'Neal WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

What do you consider quality parts? Weisco? Not sure of many others.
                    Brian do you agree with the above 10 hour part?

Comment

Nevermind Brian, Don't answer that. Was stupid question.

Comment

I do not use Wisecos in recreational motors. They are too lightweight and not built to last.
                        I use quality cast aluminum pistons, OEM, SBT, Pro-X. All three work equally well.

BTW, My Snap-On guage schrader valve needs replacing now and then (they all do). When it starts acting up, I notice it because the pressure will go up to a certain point like, say, 135psi and just stop dead. It will repeat that in every clyinder I test that should be over that number. When I replace the schrader valve, I get an accurate number again, like 150 in one hole and 153 in the other hole. So, keep an eye out for that when using any quality compression tester equipt with a schrader valve.
                        Bill O'Neal WCM
                        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                        X