More help needed from Bill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help needed from Bill.

Bill I know that you wished you had heard the last of me, but I'm back.

I am still struggling with my carb.s on my 96 GTX.

I set the bottoms at one and three quarters out and the tops a full turn out and it ran great. What I am worried about is the tops are not closed as you suggest. It will not run with the tops closed. When I come back and check my plugs they are not brown like they should be they are more white indicating too lean a setting. I am mixing my fuel at 32/1.

The only combination that will work for good performance is the one I described above but I am afraid I will melt a piston.

Any suggestions besides a match and 5 gallons of gas?

When you are riding the ski at WOT, and checking the sparkplugs after a plug chop, are the plugs hot or just barely warm to the touch?

The reason I asked is if you are putting too much fuel into the motor, the plugs would not be hot, and they probably would be almost pure white for awhile, because the raw gasoline is keeping them clean and wet.

This is often mistaken for a "lean" sparkplug, when in reality, it is very rich.

If you hold the sparkplug in your hand after a hard run, it should be very warm, almost too hot to hold in your bare hand.

If you cannot hold it at all, you are lean.

If your boat has stock stuff on it, and your carbs and fuel system is in good working condition, there is NO GOOD REASON to be running the main jet adjuster screws open more than 1/8 th of a turn from closed.

[ June 11, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Bill O'Neal ]
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I will try what you suggested with the plugs.

It just will not run with the high speed jets open an 1/8th. I have tried because I know that is what you suggested.

My fuel and oil are brand new. My filter is clean. My motor is a brand new SBT rebuild.
      I have stock exhaust. There are no modifications.

The boat ran perfect with the set up on it I mentioned. It will not run any other way. I was considering extra oil or if possible a different heat range on my plugs.

Thanks for all of your help Bill.

I guess I have no choice but to run it and see what happens, or build a mail box out of it.

Comment

If you have to run those jets open like that, something is definately wrong with your ski.

SeaDoo is not kidding when they print their specifications.
        If your Sea Doo is stock, the high speed adjusters should be closed.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I talked to a Seadoo dealer today that suggested that I go to 50/1 mix. He suggested 2 ranges cooler on the plugs as well.

I realize that by opening my high speed jets a full turn I am just letting more fuel in not more oil. I believe more oil is needed in my situation.

When I think of opening the top jets in terms of just allowing more fuel in I can't see the harm in running them a full turn out. I just have to get more oil going in at the same time.
          Is this line of thinking correct Bill?

Does the following tell you anything Bill? When I fog my front carb the boat will begin to die instantly. When I fog my rear carb you could spray and count to 5 or 6 very slowly before I can hear the motor begin to loose R's.

Thanks.... Tom

Comment

I think your dealer is nuts.

2 heat ranges colder? What? Why?

50-1 premix because you opened the jets?

No, your dealer, if competent, could fix your ski to run the way it was intended to be run.

Typical when fogging to have one clyinder die sooner than the other. Probably just weaker spark in that hole.

If your motor had no problems, then why would it need all this extra gasoline? Do you have a major air leak in the case seals ? Or a cracked intake manifold? If your dealer weren't an idiot, he have mentioned that to you.

Find the problem or find a competent mechanic or you will severly damage this motor sooner or later.
            Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Working...
            X