93 xp any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 xp any good?

I have a dealer that wants to sell me a 93 xp for $750. He will let me bring it to another dealer to check out if I want and he'll let me ride it before I buy. I am wondering if the 93 xp is any good? I'm not sure if it has the 657x motor, however I doubt it. It appears to be in decent shape for that year. I am wanting it for my girlfriend or me to ride when we go out. Currently I have a Polaris SL750. Will it be reliable enough for 2-3 more years. What are common things I should look for when purchasing this ski. The dealer has no problems with me inspecting it or anybody else, so I guess he has nothing to hide. Please help me decide whether or not I should buy. What does everyone else think of this ski. Thanks for the input.

Well, it shouldn't have th X motor in it, and the standard 650 isn't exactly tops for power output or reliability. I would pretty much go into it assuming the engine is going to grenade shortly after you guy it. In that case, $750 would be a decent deal if it's otherwise in perfect shape.

Comment

Tom,
      Although the 1993 657 motor was not the best 657 that SD built, if it is in good condition and is completely stock, it should last awhile, maybe up to three summers. $750 for ANY good looking and running jetski is not a bad deal. Where else are you going to buy a summers worth of fun on the water for $750 ? Out here, that is the rental fee for two weekends.....
      If all goes wrong, you are only out $750. SBT will sell you a completely remanufactured motor for that ski for $699.00.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I have a 93XP and besides replacing a few bearings and seals on the driveshaft, it has been a reliable ski. The XP hull is very playful and adding R&D rideplate Xtender helped the porpoising a great deal. The Motor isn't the fastest on the water these days, 70 HP, but it has admirable holeshot and speed, hovers around 50 mhp. I wouldn't put two adults on it 'cause it is a bit tippy, but an adult and child would be fine. Sponsons are not included on this ski which are needed too, it has a rolling effect at WOT. Unfortunately you would have to drill the holes for sponsons, something I am afraid to do so mine is still sponsonless. If the ski is in good condition I'd say go for it. 750 Bucks is nothing in the pwc world.

Good Luck
        Steve

Comment

Steve,
          What is keeping you from drilling the holes for the sponsons. Belive me when I tell you that the extra stability and handling are well worth the effort. Mounting them is really not as difficult as you may think. It is not a walk in the park, but it isn't that tuff either. Just remove the stuff that is in the way such as the waterbox and use a hot knife to remove the foam. You can glue the foam back in later if you cut out large pieces.
          The hull sides are approximately 1/4 inch thick, very easy for an electric drill to go through, like butter. If you use Beach House sponsons, just bolt the backing strip into place on the outside of the hull, using the supplied fender washers on the inside of the hull. The paddles bolt onto the strip later.
          A six pack and a buddy make this job even easier.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I also have the option of buying a 96 xp for about 2000. However, it needs new mats, new seat, and a few other cosmetic issues. The paint is faded a little, but not bad. Money IS an issue, but what is the best way to go in the long run? What are the 96's pros and cons.

Comment

Bill,
              I have always wanted to install sponsons but I am just scared that I'd screwed it up. Then I'd be stuck with a leaky boat or if I mount them wrong and the handling gets all screwy then I am really no where. I do all maintenance myself and have replaced mechanical pieces, parts, and so forth - I am ok there - but the idea of drilling into the hull makes me nervous. Again if I screw it up then the wife's on my case too. Gotta keep the peace ya know. I don't know... maybe next year.

And regarding the pros and cons between a 96 and the 93... The 96 has a much bigger motor, 100 hp I think, than the 93 and the hull is refined too. The thing with 96's is that many were mod'ed for racing and along with that, many were abused. Be very careful and thoroughly look at everything - on both boats really. try to pick the one which was better taken care of, which hopefully will last longer and less down time in the garage being repaired.

Steve

Comment

Tom,
                If the 96 xp motor is in good condition, then there really isn't a choice, IMO.

In one hand, you have a 1993XP that not too many people still want. It is selling for about $250-$500 less than it is worth. In the other hand, you have a 96 xp that many people want. It is selling for about $1000-$1500 less than I can get for one in good average condition.

The 93 has a shaky motor, at best, even if it is in good condition. The 96 has the most reliable motor that SD ever made, and it makes 110 hp. Much more power, and a great handling hull.
                If the 96 motor, driveshaft and pump are all good now, then it will be the better buy, unless all you can afford is the $750 93XP.

In todays watercraft market, either is way cheap for the fun that they afford the operator.
                Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Thanks guys, I thik I'll go for the 96 xp, based on what everyone is telling me. I'll check the raves/pistons, compression, electricals, Impeller clearance, pump condition, and take on a test ride. Anything else I should look at?

Comment

Tom,
                    Anything riding a jetski wearing a thong. Best view is from the rear [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Bill wrote "Anything riding a jetski wearing a thong. Best view is from the rear." Um - I've seen a couple of people before in thongs that shoulda been wearing tents. But I know what you mean in general [img]smile.gif[/img]

I bought a '96XP last year. I had been considering a '95XP for $1000 less ($2800 vs. $1800, both included trailer). My neighbor, who at the time was more knowledgeable than I was concerning PWC's, told me to get the '96 because of the motor difference. He thought I'd regret not spending the extra money. He would have been right! I'm da$$ glad I got the '96.

-Scope

Comment

You asked if there was anything else to look at. Give the engine a good shake (seriously). The motor mounts have a tendency to break.
                        -Scope

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm gonna go for the 96 xp. I'm going to look at it about the 2nd or 3rd weekend in January. I'll let you know what I find.

Comment

Working...
                          X