Low Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Battery?

I tried to start my 96 GTX and all I got after hitting the button was a clicking in the box by the battery. (I know they all have proper names but I'm in a hurry) could this be because of a dead battery?

Yes it could but it also may be from a bad connection to the battery, starter, solinoid, or starter.

It may also be a bad solinoid or starter.

Charge the battery first and see what you get and post results.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

SEADOO ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO BAD CONNECTIONS. CHECK THE BATTERY CONNECTION ON POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE FIRST. BE SURE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED. IF STILL NO LUCK CHECK THE CONNECTION ON THE STARTER ITSELF. IT HAS A 10MM NUT WHERE THE WIRE CONNECTS AND ARE NOTORIOUS FOR BUILDING CORRISION THEIR. IF ALL ELSE FAILS YOU MAY HAVE A BAD SOLENOID. THATS LOCATED IN THE BOX NEAR THE BATTERY THAT YOU REFERED TOO. IT IS KNOWN AS THE ELECTRIC BOX. THATS WHERE THE IGNITION COILS,STARTER SOLENOID.AND OTHER COMPONETS ARE HOUSED. JUST REMEMBER DO NOT JUMP THE BATTERY FROM A RUNNING VEHICLE. YOU COULD DAMAGE THE EXPENSIVE IGNITION MODULE IN THAT SKI. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

If its been sitting all winter, the battery needs charged. If you already charged the battery, it may have gone south. The original batteries last about 3-4 years.
        Walmart sells replacements for about $40.

Comment

Take some gloves and a big wrench and try bridging the two posts on the solenoid when the button is pushed (I forget, you might not even need to push the button).

If the engine turns over then it's your solenoid. About $40 or so at a dealer. I've had to replace the solenoids in my '96XP and the neighbor's '97GSX. I have one on hand for when (not if) ours goes out in our '96GTX. Heck, might replace it this year anyway.
          -Scope

[ March 08, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Scope ]

Comment

If you did not charge your battery after storing it for any length of time, it probably just needs a good charging, or possibly a new battery.

Walmart batteries are worth $40.00 or less (nothing in my opinion).

I suggest you spend a few dollars more and buy a really good quality battery. Why? Just like the guy said above, the solenoids go out. Why do they go out? Because people use lousy batteries with low charges in them. Anything less than a fully charged battery will do damage to a solenoid and the starter motor too. Save a few bucks on a battery now, and pay hundred$ later buying electrical parts ( and batteries) for your ski.

The best batteries are the OEM type made by Yausha or a Gel Cell or dry cell. They cost $50.00 or more. They are worth the extra money.

Always keep your batteries full of electrolyte and on a float charger when the ski is not in use. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.

I do this for a living. Trust me on this one.
            Bill O'Neal WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Mine had a similar problem and It was solve just by changing the position of the negative cabe I took it from the bolts that retain the starter to the stainless steel bolt that holds the pipe, it would be a good try to do this, corrosion always build under the engine and the worst is that you are not able to see it.

Comment

Working...
              X