impellor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impellor help

having trouble installing impellor properly,when i tighten imp. spins fine,then when i put cone on and tighten imp.locks up tight! have r+r several times to "eliminate" installer error. any advice will help greatly. thanks in advance,Trey. btw 96 gti w/new wear ring & impellor shaft

did you pinch the thrust bearing?
    99, 01 gtx rfi's

Comment

Yes he pinched the thrust washer and the flat bearing, a common rookie mistake. He will need to buy a new flat bearing.

Next time, use some trailer bearing grease to hold the flat bearing in the center of the shaft before you slide the impellor shaft back into the pump. If you install it dry, it will usually slip to the offset position and it will pinch the bearing everytime you install the cone.

If you run the ski with the bent bearing, it will wipe out the shaft, the bearing, the thrust washer and possibly the pump housing within a few minutes of running time.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

thanks for info. will get new bearing and try again.how much do i torque shaft? also not clear on aligning bearing.thanks again,Trey.

Comment

just finally got assembly apart,loc-tite is tough stuff! had to use 1/2 impact gun to get it apart,flat bearing looks fine,thrust washer looks fine too. do i still need to replace both?thanks in advance,Trey. btw i prefer probationary part time wrench to"rookie" !

Comment

It is possible that you put in a shaft from a different model 140mm pump. There are two different shaft lengths, one for aluminum housing pumps and one for plastic housing pumps. If your shaft is too short, the impellor will bind up the shaft when you tighten the impellor. Also, you may have used the wrongg flat bearing. There are two different types. One has smaller rollers and the other has larger diameter rollers. If you use larger rollers in a pump needing smaller rollers, it will bind up the shaft when you tigthen the cone bolts.

Here is a tip when assembling a pump. If you can seat the cone by hand, not using any bolts to pull it down tight, you probably have everything in there right. You should never ever have to use the cone bolts to put a cone on all the way to the seated position. It should always be seated by hand down tight against the pump housing hub.

[ March 09, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Bill O'Neal2 ]
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

bill 2 ihave the plastic pump,the shaft & impellor have audible & visible movemwnt w/o cone on hlsm/ronnies sent spindle for 94 gts i believe,i checked part numbers & they were the same #. neighbor at beach has 94' gts' & when he replaced,sd sent plastic kits / vs.alum kits. threw away box & bag bet ronnies won't take back ! how much difference in length of shafts ? also i used orig. flat bearing & flat washer when re-installing. running out of patients & money thanks for everyone's help so far. Trey

Comment

I don't know, about a 1/4 inch I'd guess, maybe a little more. Stand the two side by side. See if they are them same length.
                HSLM should take it back, bag or not, if they sent you the wrong part.
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X