4-Tec Not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Tec Not start

I notice that some water enter in the engien and it don't start. What are the first things to do???? Is there any sensors in the oil that don't let the engien start if the oil is mixed with water??? Shall i change the oil first??? What type of oil shall i use???

How did it get in? If it was sucked in while riding, you're screwed - time for a very expensive fix from your dealer. There is nothing you can do at home to rememdy water ingestion on a 4-stroke.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

pull the plugs and see if water comes out for starters, to change the oil your going to need a oil pump and stick it down the oil dip stick, it takes about four quarts to five

Comment

I hope the 4-tecs end up being decently reliable, as long as you take care of them. It's a kind of win lose situation as they "should" be more reliable but if they aren't its to the dealer, i figure four strokes aren't like working on two strokes.
        98 GTX Ltd, 95 XP, 99 Mastercraft

Comment

If you ingested water in the bilge(the air intake in front of your seat) it is bad news. I worked with a friend that took in a little water. After 3 oil changes and 3 sets of plugs all is well. jetracer800 is right, if it is water you will know as soon as the oil is pumped out. Replace the oil with syntheic if it is Suprcharged. If not use a high quality 10w40.

[ August 08, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: 4-stroke ]
          2002 GTX 4-tec Limited / 2003 GTX 4-tec SC Limited

Comment

the water came in while was on tow, i pulled out the plugs and drained the water, new set plugs, buy still no start. I checked the spark and its OK, fuel look OK too from the ingecters. Any help

Comment

i was told that sometimes when u tow your boat the water traveling under the boat get's sucked back into the motor from the suction the boat makes while in tow, weather there's any truth to that i don't know, just change out the oil and check for milky substance, which would be the water, it's kinda like blowing a head gasket your oil will be milky loking if water is present, also you need to dry your plugs out with a ligfhter or something and pull them everytime after there installed, to see if the waters soaking them still, hopefully you'll be alright, keep your fingers crossed!!

Comment

Eventhough the 4-tec's are cooled with the ride plate. This does not include the exhaust. It is cooled with forced water from the jet pump. It is possible water filled the exhaust chamber and entered on the exhaust side. Let us know what happens. Did you pump out the oil yet?

[ August 11, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: 4-stroke ]
                2002 GTX 4-tec Limited / 2003 GTX 4-tec SC Limited

Comment

I pump the oil out and change, after sevaeral tryings to start i decide to check the cam chain, and i found that it was broken. Is there any help why this happend???

May be alot of starting try's???

Thanks

Comment

I told you...you need the dealer for at least some major repairs if not a new block. You obviously have turned it over with water in it at some point, and have internal damage. Water and 4 strokes do NOT mix, this is not like a 2-stroke where you can simply pump out the water and all is well.

No, water in the oil and your timing chain are not related.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. We are waiting for the chain, hope this is all the problem.

When broke up the chain, can the valves touch the pistons like the cars do?????

Comment

Originally posted by seadoo:
                        Thanks for your advice. We are waiting for the chain, hope this is all the problem.

When broke up the chain, can the valves touch the pistons like the cars do?????
                        Valve meets piston, piston beotch-slaps valve, valve now grinds on camshaft, camshaft now stops moving, chain thinks it knows better and tries to move, snapping itself.
                        [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]

[ August 25, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Baz ]

Comment

For all we know you might have snapped a rod too.

Have you done a compression check?

DO A COMPRESSION CHECK BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE TO THE ENGINE!!!!!
                          Also do a leak-down to see if any of the valve seats are leaking or if you have bent valves.

If you absolutely refuse to take it to the dealer, I suggest you buy a gasket kit from SBT (or whomever might have the gaskets for your ski) then take off the head to inspect the pistons themselves and also the valves.

If you can check out the valvetrain, make sure all the springs and seats are in their proper places, and there is no abnormal wear on the camshaft. You should be able to turn the gear with your hand and everything should operate fairly easily. Besides the tension from the springs, you shouldn't have to really work hard at turning the camshaft.

Oh, and you'll have to drain the anti-freeze fluid before doing this as well, so pick up some PWC antifreeze when you get your gaskets.

If any of this is incorrect, or I've left anything out, please feel free to correct me.

[ August 25, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Baz ]

Comment

Usually water ignestion on an automobile is called "hydrolock"

You're screwed from there. Rebuild is in order. Sometimes it's just a little water that gets in, but then your cylinder tries to compress water...which doesn't compress.... hence snapping a rod. Sometimes these rods punch a whole in the block too. Very not cool.

Comment

Working...
                            X