• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi screw adjustment and RPM

I have a '96 GSX with R&D FA

Right now, my plugs are pretty wet and oily,
    and I'm running about 6780 rpm.

I have a 2.0 N&S and bigger jets in it (I have the actual sizes written down at home, just can't remember them right now)

I plan on doing some hi end tuning tonite, and am curious as to what to expect. Right now I am pretty sure that I am 2 turns out on the high screws (I'll double check before I start).
    After I do my initial checks, I will turn the high
    screw in 1/8 turn. What rpm increase should I see?
    Since the plugs are real black, an I go a half turn in, would kind of RPM increase should I see?
    Thanks!

Never go in 1/2 turn spteps, that can completely overshoot your proper range! Go in 1/8th steps until you are there. Thee is no magic number, your RPM will come up when you are close.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Okay, I'll do 1/8 at a time, but like how
      much rpm should it increase with an 1/8 turn.

I would think that:
      with the first 1/8 adjust, if there is no increase in rpm and the plugs are still black and oily, I should go in another 1/8, right?

Further more, I should repeat that process until I see the rpm increase and brown on the plugs. But when the rpm start to increase, how much of an increase is normal ?
      20 rpm, 50 rpm, 100rpm ?

Thanks!

Comment

Like I said, theres no magic number - there are other factors - get your plugs dialed in, see what RPM you are at and go from there - you don't tune by how much RPM you increased!

Comment

Bigger jets, bigger needles and seats and two turns out? Yep, you are rich allright. Probably needs to be out about a quarter turn or so.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks!

The highs were at one turn out, not two. (my typo).
            I went to 3/4 and got to 6840 rpm.
            At half turn, it was 6850 rpm.
            At 1/4 turn out, still max 6850.

(stock prop is on it)

Any idea why a 1/4 turn in would not increase rpm?
            The plugs are very slowly getting color,
            how long it normally take to get the plugs brown?

Thanks guys

Comment

It takes at least a minute of constand running in range to get good color.

When you sto pseeing gains, you are close - it doesn't keep going up indefinitely.

Comment

Does that mean color on the porcelin?
                The electrode was brown, and the rim
                of the plugs looked like your sample pics in the tuning section.
                The porcelin was just a very light tan color after about 10 minutes of WOT.
                The rpms were almost dead steady, just
                going 6840-6850. That right?

Comment

I would say go another 1/8th turn out, light tan is not where you want to be, you want chocolate brown.

Comment

Tech Support is right about going back to 1/2 out, but not because the tan color is bad. Any tan color is good. The reason to back them out a bit is you may find yourself riding on a day that has great air quality, and it might run too lean. Anytime you stop seeing a gain in rpm, quit turning them in, and back off a little. Or you will be buying pistons.
                    Bill O'Neal WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks... you guys are great!

I was figuring that I should do that, to be safe and all. Since I was just testing at 1/4 turn points, I was thinking that I ought to try adjustments between 1/2 and 3/4 and see where the acceleration feels best.

BTW, I was doing the adjustments on a cooler, humid day, so I figure it will run a little richer when the weather is hotter and dryer, right?

Thanks again!

Comment

Typically, yes. But I have been totally fooled by the weather. The only way I know for sure is by monitoring my weather guages......
                        Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Working...
                        X