SBT break in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT break in oil

Just had my 98 gtxl motor rebuilt by dealer, new crank,pistons and cylinders. My question is will your break in oil be ok to dump in my tank and use with the sea doo synthetic that's in my injection system? I've read that synthetic is not the best for breaking in a new motor.Also if it matters I have a PPG stage 1 kit on my motor.

KEN G
    The inernet is like Hollywood...it lets boring people act like they are somewhat interesting.

Yes, our break-in oil will be perfectly fine - in fact better than any of the OEM injection oil for this purpose.

No, synthetic should not be used for break-in. It does not allow the rings and cylinders to wear properly and create a good seal, whereas mineral base does. Ideally, you should use regular oil in your injection system just for the first tank of gas, along with our break-in oil in the fuel. After the first tank of gas, switch to XPS or another synthetic blend in the injection tank.

You will find the better dealers will tell you this, and fill your injection tank with a little of the regular oil for you. Most do not, and fill it with XPS, and some even tell you to use XPS in the fuel for break-in as well. Those are the ones to look out for.

Comment

So what you're telling me is my bet is to drain the synthetic from my oil tank and replace with mineral oil, and add a quart of either your break in oil or mineral oil in my fuel tank just for the break in period? I know a good break in is important but, will switching the oil relly make a big difference?

Thanks
      KEN G
      The inernet is like Hollywood...it lets boring people act like they are somewhat interesting.

Comment

That is correct, and yes it makes a big difference. Running straight synthetic for break-in does not allow the rings to properly seal.

Comment

What Brian has said is pretty well accepted as fact in the sled world.

The only good thing my selling dealer did for my 99xpl was remove what little XPS came from the factory and add the Rotax S mineral. I ran the Rotax S mineral in the first tank for that is all that was available.

I then switched to a 100% synthetic, but not XPS.

Comment

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!
            Thank you for the info and quick replies!

KEN G :D :D

Comment

Hopefully I'll be breaking in my new engine this weekend too [img]smile.gif[/img] All I have left is to replace a bit of fuel line, and bolt on the intake [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Bryan, I have a question along the same lines. A buddy and I just purchased new Doo's, a GTX DI and a RX DI. I like the fellas at the local dealer, but didn't like their answer on how to break in the Doo's. "just take it easy the first time out"... With the Orbital DI, I was concerned about putting anything in the fuel as it may clog the injectors. Also, I'm sure the oil in the tank will be synthetic from the dealer. Should we drain that as well and use a your break-in oil? I read over your suggestions in the tech section, and it makes perfect sense. But the oil part is what I'm concerned with. Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

There is definitely confusion on Sea-Doo's part as to how to break-in the DI units. First of all, don't listen to what dealers tell you. Second, be weary of what an 'owners manual' tells you. We have contacted top executinves and tech people at Bombardier, and they have verified that the DI units are to be broken in exactly like the other units, with the exception of adding oil to the fuel tank.

In short, follow the procedures we laid out in the Technical section, but do not add any oil to the fuel tank.

I will be updating the Break-in procedures today to reflect our new information.

Also, could someone send me a scan, or fax the relavent pages directly from an DI unit 'owners manual' that describe the break-in procedures? Bombardier seemed to indicate that some manuals had incorrect information in them, and I do not have one to look at. I have had some peeople send me email with the info, but they have differed, and I want an original.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Insoc:

I believe the oil for Sea-Doo DI is a "semi-synthetic" which would be a mineral base oil with syn additives.

Comment

Working...
                    X