no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no power

alright here goes, today i took my 96xp 800 out it ran about 6850rpms, my boat has a rossier pipe,milled head,air filters,rejetted carbs, after awhile at full tilt i get out to the big lake and drive around, then when i let off the gas it starts to run like it has some plugs fouled, so i change the plugs they looked dark and oily, only to have the same problem when i started back up, my boat only went 5mph at 3000rpms max it smoked alot and ran like it was fouled. well i got it back to shore and check the compression 180 both cylinders, checked the rave valves they were oily and had some carbon on them but they weren't sticking.

out of the water it did the same thing about 2500-2600rpms total sounded like crap. took it home and pulled the head the pistons looked good on the top and when i pulled the rave valve the side of the piston was good no groves in the wall.

so anyways i opened my box up front with the mpem and all the fuses were good in every box and in the rear box they were good also, then i unbolted my coil that has about 4 wires looped on one end and checked for some corossion, when i put it back together nothing to the whole boat, no beep beep no gas gauge without the dess dead,

i took a meter to see if i had power comming out of the black box and i do all the way to the front box, now i don't know how to test the mpem or the others that are in there, my buddy has the same problem and he thinks it might be the stator pickup or the stator itself.

it ran fine yesterday. tell me what you think could be the problem. tomorrow im going to open up the front cover to the staor and see what i have, i noticed that when i tried to disconnect the plug to the stator in the front i pulled out the plug a little, and i seen a little moisture around the plug, now my boat had some what in it and im sure it was splashing arouind so i don't really know what to go after at this moment. thanks

[ August 14, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: jetracer800 ]

I would bet a broken pickup.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

would a borken pick up make my boat run like it did like crap , i can see maybe the pick up being broken after the boat dies on land, but before would the pickup be on it's way out when i had it on the lake?

Comment

It could have been cracking and finally let go or shifted - just take a look.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

thank you

Comment

Jetracer.....where you at in Michigan?

Comment

in muskegon michigan

[ August 14, 2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: jetracer800 ]

Comment

i'm on the other side of the state......

Muskegon is towards lake michigan, right?

Comment

yeah right next to grand haven, you live over by port huron or lake st claire

Comment

i'm about 45min. to an hour southwest of lake St. Claire....little town called highland...borders white lake and milford

Comment

would a rectifier cause these problems?

Comment

After opening and cosing the two electrical boxes, now it won't beep? You should check the ground wires, especially the small black ground wire from the coil box to the negative side of the battery. Once you get the beeper back, if it still runs like it did before, replace the rectifier.

When a pickup breaks, the motor usually won't run at all. It runs rough right before it completely breaks the pickup mount, but that is usually within a few minutes of completely quiting.
                        My guess is you have two problems now that you messed with the electrical boxes. The orginal problem of the rectifier, and now a ground wire.

Of course there are other things it could be too. But check these out first.
                        Bill O'Neal WCM
                        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

hey bill i tried to check the plug comming out of the black box it had 12.36volts from the rd and white wire, then i unhooked the neg cable from the coil box and the volts dropped to zero so that should tell me that the ground is good, i should replace the wire with a new end it looks pretty shot. it's just funny that i take the wires off the coil for a minute and put them all back on then nothing. i hope it's a simple ground

Comment

That little coil box to negative battery ground wire is known to corrode/break inside the plastic sheath and intermittedly ground or not ground.
                            Bill O'Neal WCM
                            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                            X