oil block off plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil block off plate

My ski is setup for premix but the guy i bought it from never took off the oil pump mechanisim that the cable attaches to. He only took the cable off. Is this ok because the oil line still runs to it. On my previous ski that i setup, i actually took it off and put the block off plate on it. I always thought that was the way to do it?

thanks,
    eric

Some people get cheap and try to disable the pumping mechanism instead of removing it. Usually if they do it right, it's ok, but you do run risks of an air leak.

If the oil pump drive gear or drive coupler (you didn't say what ski) was also removed, then it's ok from an oil ratio standpoint. If the pump is still active, then you are putting double oil through your ski. Without a cable the pump defaults to wide open.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It is a 96xp. I don't understand why you say "Without a cable the pump defaults to wide open." That can't be true, because as you pull the throttle it in turn pulls the pump mechanism to allow more oil in. I'am i wrong, if so, let me know why.

thanks,
      eric

Comment

When you remove the cable, the spring has no tension and allows the cam to spring way back. It stops in the WOT position.

Comment

Oh no, i hope the ski hasn't gotten to much oil. This guy claims he took so good care of the ski but was to lazy to actually put on the block plate. I guess its pretty easy to put on, seems like i could reach it without pulling the engine

thanks eric

Comment

Never a need to pull the engine, just the intake manifold - 20 min job.

Comment

on xp though i don't think you need to take off the intake manifold do you? i no on the old gtx's you had to. my oil pump is on that wht casing on the engine toward the front of the ski. I think it might be called the magneto or something?

eric

Comment

Sorry - thought I read 94, not 96XP. You need to pull the flywheel housing cover off, make sure the drive adaptor is removed, and block it off.

Comment

No you do not need to remove the flywheel cover on a 787 engine. The drive will come out through the hole in the cover once you remove the oil pump.
                  Bill O'Neal WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I asked the guy i bought the ski from about the oil pump not being removed on the 96xp and i told him what you said about it getting maybe to much oil. Here is what he said:
                    "he is talking about a rod that connects from front of motor to the oil pump witch is a little white plastic piece that looks like a dog bone I took it out" So reading this it sounds like i don't need to remove the pump and put the blockoff plate on. So i'am i ok

thanks,
                    eric

Comment

Yes. As I said, if they do it right (remove the driveshaft adaptor) you only runt he risk of an air leak. Make sure the intake fittings are properly sealed.

Comment

You know what, heck with it, i'am gonna just buy a block off kit. Do i just simply pull the pump and cover it up?

thanks
                        eric

Comment

Use a small bead of sealer on the cover, yes.

Comment

An air leak is not an issue either if the oil injectors are in good condition. They have internal check valves that seal them off. It takes 1.5 psi of oil pressure to pop them open to allow oil to pass through them.
                            Bill O'Neal WCM
                            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

It's the 'if' that can get you [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X