'01 challenger (twin 720 rotax) dies at wot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '01 challenger (twin 720 rotax) dies at wot

One engine runs fine. The other dies, only at or near wot. It'll start back up almost immediately.

Tried fresh plugs and checked the filters by the fuel tank while I was still in the water. I've since flushed the fuel and return line from that engine, but found nothing much. I doubt I have more than 100 hours on these engines.

I'm a decent shadetree mech. when it comes to cars, but very limited on the rotax. I'm willing to learn (read "too poor to hire a professional"). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Tim

Most likely you need to rebuild the carbs. Swapping the racks will confirm.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. That second engine may pay for itself just for the part swapping option. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

The internal fuel filters inside the carbs are probably clogged up.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Still having a problem with the port engine. The carb swap between engines didn't change anything. I guess I'll swap coils/ignition parts next. Any ideas?

Comment

When it dies does it stop suddenly or splutter to a stop. Just wondered if it's seizing up? Have you looked at the plugs immediately after it dies?

Comment

It looses rpm's gradually over about a 4 second interval until it gets down under about 5000, then dies completely. I didn't restart the engine on the last run, but haven't looked at the plugs. I'm fearing the worst.

Comment

That really sounds like a seizure...definitely do a compression test.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                X