96 xp, any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 xp, any good?

I have been looking at buy a 96 xp because I like the older design because its light and fast. Anyway I found a 96 xp down the road from me that has the 800cc 110hp engine. This is exactly what I'm looking for. The guy said he has ridden it in the ocean but always flushed it very well. He said he has taken care of it really good. Its showroom quality with no nicks or scratches. He has waxed the ski every month so all the gell coat looks brand new. Always kept in a garage with a cover on. So how good are these machines? Is the 800cc rave valve engine any good? Is the 96 xp boat pretty solid? I would like to hear any opinions on this machine such as realibilty, speed, handling, maintance and so forth. Thank you very much.
    p.s. He said it has a half carbon haul. I guess seadoo made some that has glass and carbon mixed? Not really sure what he mean about that.
    Garrett

Best one person small runabout ever built, IMO.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I have a 97 900 zxi right now. How would the seadoo xp im looking at compare in performance. Speed, out of the hole, and turning. Would you think that 800cc's would still have the power that the 900zxi has? Thanks for the help.
      Garrett

Comment

Garrett,
        You will find that a 1996 XP will perform as well or better in all of the areas that you mentioned, especially accelleration and turning. Top speed is a legitimate 56-57 mph, and not many runabouts can out turn it. There are many performance upgrades available, moreso than any other watercraft ever built.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Sweet deal!

Yes the temp and oil lights just come on if there's a problem.

The Yami 1100 is a fixed ratio pump, it smokes a ton more. The Kawi smokes more because it's a heavier low ratio. If the Doo is using synthetic it won't smoke much at all at idle unless it's loaded up after a long no-wake zone.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The fuel gauge is a bar graph from left to right, right being full.
            If low on oil, a red light will shine.
            If overheated, a loud beeper will sound.
            When you install the lanyard, you should hear the beeper beep twice.
            Don't bother with the speedo as they are not accurate anyway.

Excellent deal !
            Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Well I made the 5.5 hour trip (one way)and then back today. When I arrived and saw the 96 xp sitting in the drive way shinning so bright I just hoped that the engine looked as nice. I took the seat off and to my surprise the engine also looked brand new. He hooked up the hose we ran it and she just sounded so sweet. The ski has almost no scratches at all. There actually is not one scratch on the top half of the ski. The bottom only had 2 or 3 small little nicks and that was it. The ski lookes like it was just pulled from the crate. The only problem he said was wrong is that the speedo does not work? Do yo have any suggestions on what that might be? We did a compression test and each cylinder has 154 psi exactly!! Thanks for the help on helping me choose this machine. So now for some questions.

While running, this ski does not smoke at all. There is just a light steam coming from the pipe because of the water. My 900zxi and my friends 1100 yam smoke like gang busters. Is this just the design. It still has the premixer hooked up so that is what its using.
              Second question. How do the gauges work? Im looking more so on the main center gauge that tells you all the imporant info such as fuel, temp, oil and such. How does the fuel meter read? Does it use lights to tell how full you are? Does the oil light come on when the oil is low? Temp light come on when temp is high?

Thanks for the help.
              Garrett Morrison
              ps. I ended up paying 2,100 for the ski!

Comment

Thanks for the help on the gauges. I went out and started it this morning and looked at the fuel gauge. My tank if 100% full but I dont see any bars on the gauge. Only a red fuel light. Sounds like something is not working in the unit. Do you have any ideas on this?
                One other question you might be able to help me with. I am not a big fan of the thumb throttle. Is there an after market place that I can purchase a finger throttle? It would be nice to keep the stock cable hooked up as well. Other than that you guys have been a big help in my jet skiing questions. I have run into a bunch of people needing new engines so I sent them your way. Thanks a bunch.
                Garrett Morrison

Comment

Search for Fuel sender float - it's a very common part to fail. You'll find threads on repair and part numbers.

Comment

IT IS VERY COMMON FOR THE SEADOO FUEL LEVEL SENSORS TO GO BAD. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL GO BAD. AS FAR AS THE THUMB THROTTLE I HATE THEM TOO. I KNOW THERE IS AN AFTERMARKET FINGER THROTTLE FOR IT BUT ITS PRICEY. I HAVE A 1995 XP THAT I ACTUALLY TURNED THE THROTTLE ASSEMBLY AROUNG ON THE HANDLEBARS AND IT WORKED FINE. JUST ONE LITTLE ALLEN BOLT TO TRMOVE AND TURN AROUND. THEN TUCK THE HANDLEBAR COVER PAD BACK IN. MIGHT WORK FOR YOU. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

Ok guys I found the problem. The little magnet was laying down by the screen. I got the float out but did not notice what way the float has to go. Does the magnet go to the top of the float or to the bottom of the float? I hooked up my ohm meter and it read from 0 to 90. So everything is good there. Just need to know what way to put the magnet. More to the top, or more to the bottom. I think it would be the bottom.
                      Garrett Morrison

Comment

I put the system back together and it works great! Thanks for all the help. I now have one or two more little problems that I would like to fix before I go out.
                        #1. My fuel falve is working just fine. I can blow through every tube and rotate it and it seems to shut is off and such. But with the tank all the way full I can not keep the engine running on fuel. It will stay running just fine on reserve but not on fuel. Do you think by some chance that the lines are mixed up? Before I fixed my float in my tank I marked all the lines so I new what ones went where.
                        #2. My idle sound like it might be just a hair to high. Might be just fine when I put the ski in the water and load the impeller. But if by chance is there a little throttle stop screw by the carbs? My 900zxi has a big knob that I can grab to raise and lower the idle. Other than that I think im ready to head out to the water tomorrow.
                        Garrett

Comment

If your tank is full and not sucking fuel you probably have a leak at a fitting or a cracked baffle. Pressure check the fuel lines to see if it holds.

Yes there is the same type of stop screw, it has a t-handle right where the cable hits the first carb. You should be about 3000 rpm out of the water, 1500 in.

Comment

I think you have the "on" line attached to the "vent" or the "return" fitting on to of the baffel. If you look closely, they are all marked right below the fittings.
                            The "on" line and the "reserve" line should be opposite of each other, as is the "Vent" and the "return" lines opposite of each other on top of the baffel.
                            Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Working...
                            X