97xp vts fuse poping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97xp vts fuse poping

7.5 A fuse is blowing when vts reaches full up position. I removed the worm gear and it seemed jamed into the slider. Is it common for this to happen? and do I need to replace the worm gear or can I repair it? Also what turns off power to the motor at the end of its travel? and is there an adjustment? how does the vts guage know where the level of the nozel is and is there an adjustment? Thanks!

Get a new worm gear sliding shaft. It has an imbedded magnet that passes a sensor in the VTS housing assembly to know where it is on the guage.

It is possible that you need a new VTS housing assembly too.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

There are two limit switches in the VTS box that sense when the motor is fully extended or retracted. They sense the resistance produced by the magnet mentioned by Bill and automatically turn off the motor. These can fail and cause your worm gear to jam. Thus, a blown fuse. You will most likely have to replace the whole assembly.
      As for adjusting the level of the nozzle, the mechanical arm holding the nozzle in place on the rear pump area has an adjustment. Set your guage to neutral and adjust accordingly.

Comment

I had identical problem on a 95XP. It started with the trim jammimg in the fully up position and I had to remove the motor to wind it back by hand as it was stuck tight on the screw. After a couple more trips the VTS died completely and a new VTS box cured it (motor and shaft were fine).
        As Thomas says there's a limit switches in the box to limit the travel and one must have failed allowing the trim to move too far and jam up.
        Very common failure.

Comment

Working...
        X