580 hard starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 580 hard starts

This boat starts fine out of water, and starts fine in the water every other time, Runs strong, great highspeeds but has a rough idle where the engine vibrates real badly-- Dies then is very hard to get started again.--Again this is every other time.

Most likely you need to rebuild your carbs.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It has been freshly rebuilt. Would old gas give me this issue?

Comment

Check your rotary valve clearance!

Chester

Comment

clearance to what? I have heard people mention this but there is no tech article that discusses it that I can find.

Comment

Separate your intake manifold from the rotary valve cover. Install the cover without the o-ring in place. Measure the clearance between the valve and cover with a feeler gauge. It needs to be between 0.010" - 0.014". If it is damaged or out of spec it needs to be remachined. We do it for $100.

Comment

I noticed that when installing the rotary valve, there was a gouge on the block face maybe a mm deep. Would this affect the warm starts or just the cold starts. Cause my problem is intermitant. Always starts cold but everyother warm start is hard, other times it fires right up.
              I will check the gap and make sure that I have proper clearance.
              Also, how do I know if my valve is shot?

LOL if only these were reeds.

Comment

The valve must be perfect, no nicks or bends. Hard warm starts are often a slightly lean low-speed mixture. Try turning your low speed screws out 1/8th of a turn.

Comment

WELL ALRIGHT, I think I will start with adjusting the carb, do you by any chance know proper idle rpm range? (in water)-- this is the white block

[ June 21, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: TexasRex ]

Comment

1500 in water, 3000 out

Comment

Well I think I goter dialed in, although I was idling in the water at 2200, I will turn down my idle screw a bit more.
                      She didnt die but this was on the trailer in the water, later this week I can take her for a test run or 2 but I have a much smoother power band now that I got it adjusted a bit better.

Comment

Working...
                      X