X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water box pressure regulator

how will the adjustment of this alter performance on my 96 gtx and 99 xpl
    E.B

altering this will alter the waterflow thru the pipe. I don't think you will see much if any performance difference from cooling
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

would this alter the amount of cooling to the motor then during flusthing or long no wake zones if screwed all the way out, or cause excessive heat from the waterbox screwed in.
      E.B

Comment

the water regulator dumps into the waterbox but regulates flow thru the exhaust pipe. The adjustment alters the point at which the water is restricted, no effect on overall power.

[ June 20, 2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I just can't help but wonder why they would put the in for no good reason such as lower under hood temps
          E.B

Comment

The waterbox regulator regulates the water injected into the midpipe. In general, the more water injected at this point, the more low end torque but less top end. The less water the less low end and higher top end.

The regulator works off water pressure produced by the pump. The lower the rpm the lower the pressure. When the pressure is low, the regulator is more open allowing more water to enter the midpipe and give more low end torque. As the rpms increase, the higher water pressure begins closing off the regulator and decreasing the amoung of water injected into the midpipe. This allows for more top end torque and speed.

The red top pushes on a spring, the further in the red top is turned, the more force on the spring and the later the regulator starts to close. The opposite is true.

From personal experience:
            I could not find about 400 rpms when I first bought our '96GTX (used), I finally backed off on the red top of the regulator. Evidently it was turned in so far that the regulator never began to close (or closed very little). When I backed it out to approximately flush with the top I found my 400 rpms.

Note that the water is never fully shut off. If it was the pipe would overheat and the coupling to the waterbox would burn up.

Also note that at some point you can back it out too far, you won't achieve any more high-end speed but you'll begin to lose low-end punch. In other words, you need to experiment for the optimum setting.

Sorry for the long book. Hope it helps,
            -Scope

[ June 20, 2003, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Scope ]

Comment

Are you guys talking about the fitting on top of the muffler
              <a href="http://www.leximotorsports.com" target="_blank">www.leximotorsports.com</a><br />606 TEAM LEXIMOTORSPORTS<br /> <br /><br />2004 RXP

Comment

Thats it.....looks like a RAVE valve cap.

Comment

Scope, you should write a book! Seriously, that is the most understandable explanation of exhasut water injection that I have ever read - really good - thanks!

Paul
                  Iron Flight<BR>Nassau Bay,Texas

Comment

scope, thats what I was looking for. thanks
                    E.B

Comment

No kidding . He needs to do repair manuels. No need for pictures
                      <a href="http://www.leximotorsports.com" target="_blank">www.leximotorsports.com</a><br />606 TEAM LEXIMOTORSPORTS<br /> <br /><br />2004 RXP

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys.
                        -Scope

Comment

Working...
                        X