flywheel removal??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flywheel removal??!!

Are these flywheels welded on or something???

I can't seem to get mine off, and I'm runnin out of time! Gotta get the core back to SBT.
    The manual says to use a "universal" puller, but the only one I could find close to the picture was a harmonic balancer puller. Not to mention, the bolt holes are only 6mm in the flywheel. I ended up having to use 6mm allthread 'cause NO ONE makes a 6mm bolt long enough. Last night, I pulled the allthread apart! Never seen anything like it. The nuts I was using shot across my shop like a bullet.

I'm gonna make a tool on a waterjet cutter at work and try that.

Should I just buy the proper tool?
    96 gtx...

thanks guys....

Any good hardware store, Home Depot, lowes, etc. has bolts that size, they are nothing extraordinary. The harmonic balancer puller will work fine so long as your tip is the correct size, and is actually pushing the crank, not the flywheel. You can use a little heat to help it off, and when it's tightened, strike the center of the puller with a hammer a few times.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Having the proper tool is always nice, especially after you have ruined some parts trying to save a buck.

But a universal puller will work, and the bolts only need to be about 2.5-3 inches long. Try a bolt store.

If you add heat, it will almost fall off.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

if you ever plan to remove another flywheel, get the puller.

the ones for the 787/947 engines make it a joke.

greg

Comment

Working...
        X