1996 Tiger Shark - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Tiger Shark - Help

Bought the 1996 Tiger Shark about 2 years ago used for $2000., It is my first jet ski, and was running fine until this summer. I broke down and it was determined that I had dirt and water in my gas and oil???? I paid $400., to have that cleaned out and a new seal replaced. However, I just took it out this weekend and it has lousy pick up. The marina claims that I have rust inthe Wall fo they Cylindar and I need a new front Piston and Rings, total bill of $700., I am just sick about the enitre ordeal. It appears I can get a new engine for $699., I just need some suggestions as to which way would be the best route to take? It is most likely my fault becuase in the two years I have had the jet ski I have not had any rountine work done so the water leak is my fault. I just curious if buying a engine for $699, vs, just a piston and ring for $700. would be better. I bought this from somebody who I know took care of it and aside from keeping it clean(I am a singer Female)I really am clueless on the internal parts of the thing. Looking back it was probably a mistake since I am not Tim the Tool Man but I tought somebody might be able to give me some suggestions.

Thanks
    [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [CODE] [img]null[/img]

Well, obviously I'm a baiased opinion , but I can tell you that if you have water damage, just doing a top-end job is the cheap and no-so easy way of getting it running again. You will also have crank bearing damage, and you may find yourself with another totalled engine even after putting a fresh top-end on it if the bottom end goes later. For $699 you can get a new engine with a 1 year warranty. If nothing else, you can turn around and sell the ski for a more reliable one, and the new engine & warranty are good selling points.

Comment

Working...
    X