help!I am having trouble taking my engine out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!I am having trouble taking my engine out

If anyone has any ideas on the following it would help out a great deal.
    I have the top half of the engine of my daytona 770 off but the exhaust manifold will not seperate from the engine, I have removed 4 bolts that hold the manifold on and can not break the seal, (is there anything else that holds it on, I also loosened the bolt on the engine mount and dont know what else to do I can't break the seal)

also the pistons are siezed and I don't think I will be able to get the engine out with out unsiezed it.
    Thanks

bhilport@netscape.net

[ June 09, 2002, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: bhilport ]

Hey bhilport,
    There is a 17mm head bolt right in the middle of the manifold you may have missed.Hard to get to amongst all the hoses but try a 17mm socket with no extension and a ratchet. There is also a brass plug in the elbow of the manifold you should remove to drain any water sitting inside (stops it running into the engine when you break the seal)
    Makes no difference if the motor is seized or not.
    gud luck!

Comment

Thanks RUSSTHEMUSS you saved me alot of time.
      Update: HELP!!! I have the exhaust off, now I need to take the engine out but since the engine is siezed and I can't take the engine out in pieces? (or can I?), I could pull the engine out as a whole if I can take the drive shaft out.

Also, any general tips/advice on engine removal would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

It is easier to remove the engine if the shaft is out, but im normaly in a hurry and it can be done while its in. Check out earlier posts on what drive shaft you have.
        You dont have to disassemble the engine to remove it.
        Heres how i do it:
        Undo the hose at the strainer, take out the temp sender,and work the manifold out pulling the inlet hose with it .(yea it DOES come out eventually-watch the hose clamps sticking in the foam)
        Disconnect the following :wire at the starter & the earth strap from the battery,choke,accelerator and oil pump cables, Fuel hose inlet at the carb, Return fuel line at the tank (thru the front hood),open up the BLACK BOX with the clip lid and undo the plugs which run to the stator
        Undo the engine mount bolts (note where the shims come from)
        Make sure the wiring (may have to cut the cable ties)and fuel line is free ,reach in and lift it out.If the shafting is still in then you slide it foward first.
        Run it on premix and you have no more problems!!!

Comment

Thanks Russ
          1 more question
          I cant get 2 of the engine bolts off there are those two plates behind the bolt that are spinning with the bolt.
          Or can I just undo the 2 bolts on the sides of that bolt and undo the whole mount.
          Thanks
          Bhilport

Comment

You can remove the mounts with the engine if needed and replace the mounts before you install the engine.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

when you say remove the mounts do you mean unscrewing those two smaller bolts on the side, if so I did that and tried to pull up on the engine and it would not move. Also the main bolt that goes in the mount when i turn it the rubber piece below, that it is screwed into is what is turning on both of the starboard(sp) side bolts.
              I have tried for two days to get those things out, so any help or ideas is welcome.

Thanks
              bhilport

Comment

Yep their a pain in the a#$.
                Even with the engine out the mounts can be hard to remove from the hull.I would concentrate on trying to get the middle bolt out.Sounds like your mounts are stuffed anyway so get a small pipe wrench in there and try and hold the rubber.

Comment

Ok I tried the pipe wrench thing and it did not move, the impact wrench did not even move it.
                  would it be a bad idea to cut the bolts, slide the engine out, then replace the bolts and engine mounts once the engine is out.
                  (If I cut the top of the bolt off is the rest of the bolt threaded to anything other than the rubber mount. Also could I just cut the rubber off.
                  If so, Can I found mounts for a good price anywhere.
                  Thanks for all your help Russ

Comment

Give danks idea a try first, you may have to get a chisel in there to seperate the mount. You should be able to cut thru the rubber with a hacksaw blade if it comes to that.
                    sorry dont know where ya get mounts

Comment

Working...
                    X