Dumped Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumped Daytona

After many years of pressure from my sister-in-law, my father-in-law purchased a PWC. He bought a '94 Daytona 770 from a good friend of mine. That was last Friday. Sunday it was dumped by my brother-in-law and he managed to fill the engine compartment with water. They bailed the water out and dried the plugs and tried to fire her up to no avail. My father-in-law took the craft to a local marina specializing in PWC repair. He was told that since they tried to start the engine after it being soaked, the engine needed to be replaced at a cost of $1800. That's more than he paid for the machine. My questions to you folks are:

1. Does the engine really need to be replaced?
    2. If so, how much of it?
    3. Can a reasonably mechanically inclined person (myself) replace the necessary components?
    4. Does this cost of repair seem reasonable?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Funny you should ask. The company that carries this site sells Tigershark (Suzuki) engines for $700. Yes, a shade tree mechanic can change them out, and in my opinion, damage could have been done, but I would be determined to get the thing started. Also, the 770 engine did not come out until 1996, so you either have a 96 or you have the 640cc engine.

Comment

So if I understand you correctly, you would try to start the engine (even now) and see what, if any, damage was done. Yes, I stand corrected, it's not the 770 engine.

Comment

I thought I replied to this earlier but I must have accidentally closed the window...

NO do not try to run the engine, unless you want to risk MUCH more expensive damage by putting a rod through the case.

If water has sat in the engine, it's shot and you need to replace it or at least completely rebuild it.

The price quoted you is not bad, but we can do better. We have the block for $699.

Comment

My faux pau. I meant start it after you get the water out just to see if you have destroyed the case. And I was referring to SBT in regard to where to get an engine.

Comment

Working...
          X