used ts900 sitting for 3+ yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used ts900 sitting for 3+ yrs

I just bought a used TS900 that was sitting for over three years. I have checked the pressure in the cylinders and have 150 per. I have cleaned the water intake filter. Is there anything else that I should check or do before I take it out for its first run? I have it running, and surprisingly there is no "bog down" in the carbs, however I have not had it on the water yet. The machine appears brand new, so I have the feeling it was not run much. I just want to make sure I do not overlook anything that will end up causing alot of problems. This is my first PWC so any help or ideas would be great, however I have worked with snowmobiles. Also any feelings on the oil pump. Should I kkep it, or get rid of it and just premix all my own? Thanks[LIST]

The oil pump should be fine - they don't go bad from just sitting.

I would really suggest rebuilding the carbs, and inspecting your needle and seats - it may feel fine but after that long of a layup, there is bound to be some gumming and wear. Don't chance it on $100 worth of parts.

Comment

I would rebuild the carbs for years of trouble free service and change out the old gas that was probably left in there. Good luck on your initial voyage. I would also put in new oil, but that is just me talking. No use spending three grand and then destyoying it because of a hasty launch at the boat ramp. I would also let it warm up completely and then check it and then keep an eye on the plugs, assuming that you don't rebuild the carbs. GOOD LUCK!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have not yet decided on taking the carbs apart, but I guess I will now. I have worked snowmobile and Johnson outboard carbs, so I am thinking they should be alot alike, since they are all two stroke. I am planning on getting a manual, so it should help. Once again, Thanks

Comment

Clcik the Technical button on the left, go into the guides and download the carb rebuild guide.

Comment

Working...
          X