Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problem

Today I pulled my ski out of the garage and when I went to start the engine the starter ran but didn't engage the engine. I removed the plugs and turned the impeller but still nothing. It's getting real cold outside so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I'm thinking it might be the gear assembely. Does this sound about right? Any suggestions whould be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
    Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

Yep, you need a new Bendix. Unfortunately you need to pull the engine out to change it.

Comment

not looking forward to doing this.

Comment

You may not need to pull the motor, What model is your ski?
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Bryan, I was looking at several starter gear assy. that I have and noticed a difference in them.

The "drum" outside of where the throw out weight are is solid to the rear gear on some and will spin freely on others. The throwout gear moves normaly on both. Is this normal after use or have they been broken?

Comment

Can't say I've seen them spin freely...

And I've never seen anyone be able to pull the flywheel in the hull of a Tigershark.

Comment

i have the 1100R. I've noticed that the gear assembley looks really similar to those on some Yamaha's, are they the same does anybody know?

Comment

Yes, 99% of all the models use the same assembly including Tigershark and Yamaha.

Comment

I have replaced the starter gear on a 99'1100R in the hull before. You will need to connect the motor to a overhead hoist first then remove the front engine mounting bolt from the hull. Then lift the front of the engine up 1-2 inches to gain access to the bottom bolts that hold the engine mount on the front of the mag cover. Next remove the mag cover. The starter drive will have to be wiggled past the flywheel. Be patient there is only one angle it will pass by at. then just reverse the steps and you are done. @3hrs to do the first time.

If you are not able to do this then the motor will have to come out for the change. @6hrs and a lot more gaskets.

Comment

On the starter drives the 1100 motor used a larger gear that engages the flywheel the the 640/770 motor. Make sure you get the correct gear. The 900 and 1100 are the same.

Comment

cool, i'll give that a try. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X