96 Daytona Pump Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Daytona Pump Problem

My 96 Daytona has problems with accelerating and cavitating. Motor seems to run fine though. From problems I've read on this site, I was convinced it was the impeller.

I got in there and measured the clearance between it and the wear ring...0.010"...well within specs. I saw no visual damage to the impeller or wear ring either. However, The stator vanes right behind the impeller are pretty well chipped and cracked at their tips. Would this cause enough of an issue to notice a TREMENDOUS problem with accellerating and coming out of turns? I'm also confused as to how the could be in such bad shape while the impeller seems fine. TIA

The aluminum stators on most of the early models would do that. Later models were made of stainless steel which would last longer. Only thing to do is replace it. I may have one if you need it. email me and I can look.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Sorry, I misread the year.
      Take your intake grate off and reseal it to the hull. Use "The Right Stuff" from NAPA ect.

Also while you have the grate off cut the center bar out of it and file it down smooth. This will help load the impeller. You can pick up a Black Magic intake grate cheep if yours is bent or worn.

Comment

If that does not help then replace the stator/bearings/seals. You can use a stator from a 97 Daytona 770. It will be stainless not aluminum. A little more but will last a lot longer. Email me I may have a good used one or new.

Comment

wow, thanks for the quick response. after thinking about it for a bit, i think it may be a '95 (it's not really my ski). would that make a difference? do you know a way i could tell easily (it's reddish/orange w/ white if that helps)

I'll start by removing that intake grate bar and resealing. Probably just replace the stator while i'm working on it now. (still a little cold to ride here). I'll send you an email about that.

How difficult is it to replace the seals/bearings? If i remember correctly, the manual said you would need special tools?

too bad it's 2 hours away now. Hopefully i can get down there this weekend to take a look at it some more (and find out the year for sure)

thanks a bunch for your help!

Comment

If it is red and white then it's a 95'. Totaly different jet pump then a 96'.

In a 95' the pump is a large black unit. It has a drain screw on the bottom inside the intake grate.

If the bearings are ok then you can just change the oil with 4 oz. 75-90 synthetic gear lube.

You can remove the stator from the rear and you will not have to pull the impeller off or intake grate. The only one avalible is the stock style aluminum one.

Talk to ya later.

Comment

Okay, it's a 95 for sure.

I drained the oil, but it seemed a bit low. I'm guessing those bearings are shot. How hard is it to replace them?

But that little black rubber bladder on top of the pump is full of holes. How important is pressure in that pump? Maybe it was just "leaky" so it had problems? I've got another one on order.

Comment

Was the oil clean and not milky white?
                If it is milky you need to rebuild the pump with new bearings and seals.
                If not just refill with 4oz synthetic oil for jet pumps.

Comment

Working...
                X