99 Tigershark TS1100R Wont Start~ HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Tigershark TS1100R Wont Start~ HELP

I have a 99 TS1100R That is giving me problems starting. The boat sat for about 2 months and when I finally got it started a whole lot of black sludge came out of the exhaust. It would run only about 2000RPM with the throttle wide open and alot of feathering. After about 10 minutes of running, it ran fine out on the water. Not a single problem. I checked the choke linkage and it was a bit stuck, staying partly in the open position. I removed the attenuator and the attenuator bases, cleaned them up, sprayed the carbs, sprayed the choke springs and related and reassembled everything. Added a new tank of fresh gas. The choke linkage still would not fully close when the handle was depressed. (tired springs?) I added a spring to help close and now it appears that they close fully. Today I attempted starting again and it just cranked and cranked and cranked. Nothing. If the fuel line was gunked up, why would it finally run great the last time I started it? Same with possible carb gunk. Any ideas are appreciated.

1 Hour later...

Now after the battery is charged from all of the cranking...all I get is a buzzing sound at the starter!!!? It's not spinning, just a buzz, no click. What gives!! Now I'm completely dead. I also noticed some smoke puffs at the positive battery terminal as I tried to crank it so obviously I stopped immediately. Now what...??

Thanks

[ June 28, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Kip ]

You probably hace a poor conection on the battery or starter cables. Clean them and it should turn over. try putting a little premix down each carb and try to start it. If it runs then shuts off the carbs are going to have to come off to be cleaned. Also verify the fuel pump can pull gas from the tank and the vaccume line is not broken.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks Dank...you've always been a help. My friend who is also a PWC expert concurs. He is also an electronic tech and suspects either a bad connection at the terminal or just plain bad battery. It's the original '99 battery so it's most likely time for a new one. I suspect the charging may have burnt out a cell or two and probably did not have enough 'uummph' to get the boat started. I'll let you know what I find out.

Kip

Comment

man I hope you get that R running! As a fellow 1100R owner I have to say that sometimes they can be tough to start at times. Last year I pulled out my choke plates and put in a primer in and it's a world of difference. I still have the origional battery in mine too and it will probably be retired very soon, but it's had a good, long life. Good luck.
        Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

Comment

Yes it was only the battery. Bought a brand new one at Walmart for $30 and it starts like a charm. That was the original battery and it was down to 8 volts. Not nearly enough to start it. Had be scared there for a bit. I love this boat. My wife drives the beast and she outruns me ('01 Yama GP800R although I gther out of the hole) my friend ('03 Kawasaki STX-12F 4-stroke) and his girlfriend (another Kawasaki) I hope to keep the 1100 for a long time.

Comment

Working...
          X