starter questain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter questain?

i dont know if i have my starter is working right ican hear it spin up but the engine doesnt turn? Is that the bendix sticking or is it my battary doesnt have enough juce... idk i am using a battary that is questionable.... well inputs would be good. thanks cody

Re: starter questain?

It Is Very Possible That Your Battery Is The Cause. It Takes A Good Battery To Supply The Proper Voltage And Amperage To Spin The Starter At The Rpm Needed To Throw The Bendix Out And Engage The Flywheel. Try A New Battery.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

i am not sure but i think i hooked up the battary wrong the first time would that have ****** the starter up i touched the wire and was like **** its the wrong way when i saw the aprks... idk i hope i didnt fry the cdi brain... this ski is being a pain in the butt... thanks cody

Comment

If you just hooked the battery wires backwards the it would have blown the main fuse or circut braker and not hurt the electrical system.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

so what do i have to do to fix that? rest the buttons on the fuse? becuase after i did that the starter wouldnt spin over fast enough t engage the bendix or it wouldnt get enough jucie.. thanks cody

Comment

If you are sure the battery is good and the cable connections are clean and tight and the starter spins then you need to change the bendix.

It may also be the starter not spinning fast enough and you would have to replace it.

If you are not sure about the starter speed then take it to some one to check out. Normaly the front bearing will rust and cause the starter to drag and not turn over fast enough. You can check it by removeing the starter and turning the shaft. If it is smooth and you can turn by hand it is probably ok and the bendix is the problem.

Bendix removal:

Disconnect battery, Remove oil pump from front engine cover and move to the side with all lines attached. This would be a great time for an oil pump block off kit to be installed. Next remove any brackets that are attached to the mag cover some models do not have any. Remove the mag cover bolts and remove the cover. Remove both spark plugs and position the front piston half way up in the bore while turning the flywheel counter clockwise now get a piece of rope and feed it down the front spark plug hole as much as you can get down. Now rotate the flywheel so the rope holds the piston from going up any further. Remove the flywheel bolt with a wrench and braker bar. Remove the rope and do the same procedure turning the flywheel clockwise and lock it that way. Get a unaversal flywheel puller and remove the flywheel from the engine. Now you can get the bendix out. Be sure to remove the rope each time you chage directions eithe loosenig ot tightening the flywheel bolt. If you dont the rope can work it's way into the transfer or exhaust ports and be cut off when you tighten down or loosen a bolt. The piece of rope will cause damage when you try to start the engine when done.

I always burn the end of the rope I feed in and check it after I pull it out to make sure it is all out. If you are unsure remove the head and inspect that way.

Replace all parts in the reverse order.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

the start has a little drag on it but idk it spinns pretty quick i am gona go ahaid and try and win an auction on ebay for a bendix from a baracudia.... it should work. any place i can order one and not pay 300 bucks for it? do u know any one that has one for sale> thanks cody

Comment

I Got Some Bendixes. $70.00 Each. 281-850-1120
                WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

well that bendix is rusted pretty good in their... is that normal>? the starter wasnt in the engine for somtime i guess water got in it some how? thanks cody

Comment

No Not Normal. Their Has At Some Point Been Moisture In There. If The Bendix Is Rusted Up You Most Likely Have Other Damage. Check The Stator Also While You Have It Apart. You May Be Able To Salvage The Bendix If Its Not Pitted From Rust Or Your Internal Spring Still Retains Its Integrity. The Springs Are Very Succeptable To Rust And Usually Break If Rusty. Soak It In Oil Overnight And Work It With Your Hands To Make Sure It Moves Freely On The Shaft. If In Doubt Purchase Another One And Be Done With It. Remember To Clean The Brass Bushing In The Case That The Bendix Shadt Rides In A Put A Small Amount Of Grease On The Bendix Shaft Before Installing. Install A New Front Cover Gasket To Prevent And Moisture From Entering Again. And Make Sure The O Ring In The Starter Nose Is Good.

Comment

thanks i dont think its slvagable the spring yeah i dont think it is their any more... and the shaft itself was rusted... i split the lower end and resleaded it up and put new chrank sealson it.... so if their was an issue in that end its fixed... i the ski sat for a while with out the start in it so i asume some water got in it some how from siting in a grauge.... stator looks alright some rust on it but i cleaned it off... should be alright gona test it with the multi-meter tommorw to verify that it will work nomrally. thanks for the help! cody

Comment

Working...
                      X