98 Tigershark R1000 starter seized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Tigershark R1000 starter seized

starter is seized. How difficult would this be to replace myself do I need any special tools? Took it to the shop they diagnosed the problem and quoted it as a $900 job. I've worked on cars I'm not a mechanic but I can turn a wrench.

Re: 98 Tigershark R1000 starter seized

Are you sure they didn't say starter bendix?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

If it is the starter then you would have to:

1. Remove air box from carbs
      2. Remove carbs
      3. Remove center intake manifold
      4. Remove rear starter bolts and red lead to starter.
      5. Account for the spacer and dont drop it under the engine.
      6. Pull and twist old starter out the rear.

Just reverse to install new starter.

All that you would need are normal hand tools and blue loctite to reassemble.
      1-1.5 hr. job if all the bolts come out clean and don't snap off from salt water.

If it is the bendix then that is a different story. A dealer will charge a lot for this since it requires a lot of patience. You can do it without pulling the engine from the hull or pulling the flywheel but most dealers will want to do this. I can do it in the hull in about 2-3 hrs. Very tight and hard to get to all the bolts since it is so close to the gas tank.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Hey Dank,

Don't you just hate it when you loose those nuts and bolts under the engine especially the stainless ones that a magnet won't touch? I had to replace the starter bendix in my Daytona 1000 recently and could not figure out how to do it in such a tight work area with the motor in the hull so I ended up pulling the engine and doing it that way, it mades it alot easer to work on and pulling the engine you can check out everything while its on the bench. BTW, I converted the Daytona 1000 to the threaded drive shaft assembly, if you remember I got the coupler from you, it works like a champ. You don't by chance have any of the Black magic deep fin grates for my Daytona 1000 do you?

Comment

Tell you what, I'll never do one again...only thing more frustrating is a Polaris Fuji triple for me...sometimes I wonder if the designers EVER talked to a mechanic before making these things...especially when you look at another brand that has it right.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Amen...

I will check on the intake grate but I think the ones I have are for the 96 Daytona 770's. They may be the same?
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
            X