X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help w/95 daytona idle...

Hey all,

Quick question....
    When I fire up one of my daytona's, it idles good for a couple seconds,about 2500 rpm and starts going up in revs to 4000, 4500. anyone have a guess as to what the issue may be?? bad carb?? I am firing it up on the stand if it matters...

Re: please help w/95 daytona idle...

That's called glowplugging, or, a runaway. You are running lean for some reaosn, and need to find out why or you will blow the motor very soon. You eaither have a blockage in your fuel system/carb, or have an air leak - possibly at an end seal in the engine, carb base gasket, intake manifold, etc. Did this start right after you did something, or is this the first time you are starting it for the season, etc.? Give us some background information.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

First time starting for the season. What would be a good starting point for troubleshooting??

Comment

If it was fine when you put it away, you probably did not winterize it correctly, and need to flush your fuel system, and rebuild your carbs. Get a couple kits and go through them - that's my suggestion.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

care to hold my hand and walk me through a fuel system flush?

:o

Comment

Come to think of it, I did change the starter

I went and looked tonight, and there is just a bit of oil on the starter case, and it looks like it is dripping down onto the engine cradle just a little pool. huh? What the heck do you think that oil is coming from?

Thanks so much, I hope I get to ride these things soon.....

Comment

Do not try to start that ski until you know where that oil is from. I am not familiar with Daytona so you shouild wait for tech or someone else to give you a more complete answer.

When changing the starter you may have knocked the oil line off that leads from the oil pump to your carb or intake. If that is the case you are running the engine without oil and it will seize very quickly!

If the oil line is off it is allowing too much air to enter the intake and dumping the much needed oil into the bilge. The combination is deadly to an engine.
              *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
              Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

You don't have any oil lines on the starter side of the engine. You should check the front of the engine and make sure the oil feed line to the oil pump is not leaking and the two little oil lined running from the pump to the intake manifold under the carb are on tight.

To clean the fuel system you will have to:

1. Remove carbs from ski. Mark the location of each fuel line.
                2. Drain all fuel from fuel tank.
                3. Blow all lines clear of and fuel.
                4. Change the fuel filter.
                5. Wipe the inside of the tank out with a rag on the end of a hanger.
                6. Disasemble the carb rack and rebuild each carb with rebuild kits.
                This would be a great time to add a primer kit.
                7. Assemble and lube the carb rack after the rebuild.
                8. Install carbs on ski with new gaskets.
                9. Prime down the carbs with a tablespoon of premix to aid in starting. You may have to do this a few times before the carbs fill with fuel.
                10. Test drive to make sure eveyting is working properly. You also should look down the carbs when at idle to make sure they are not dripping fuel. If so the needles and seats should be replaced inside the carbs.
                Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

well, after looking around some more, I have found that the purple top pipe has a gap between it and the exhaust manifold. would that explain my air leak?? the oil i saw was the black soot stuff leaking from the purple exhaust pipe. After looking at my other pipe, i see that on the flange where the pipe mates to the exhaust manifold the water jackets are closed off, but on the manifold mating surface the water jackets are open. is this correct???

Recap: think i found my air leak (if a pipe to manifold leak counts)

is it correct that on the manifold mating suface of the purple top pipe the jacket holes are filled? and on the mating surface of the manifold they are there, or does the water travel between the mating sufaces of the two (thus they should both have water holes on the mating surface???

thanks again and sorry for all the confusing questions......

Comment

If it ran last year they are the correct parts. That would cause an exhaust leak and it would cause the ski to fill with water and exhaust and choke out the engine from lack of O2.
                    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
                    X