Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Daytona 1000 stability question

Hi All,

Last fall I purchased a 97 Daytona 1000, it did not run when I got it as it needed a new starter bendix, I removed the engine and across the winter I went through the whole engine and ski bringing it back up to to where it should be, replacing worn parts and upgrading things like the splined drive shaft to the threaded drive shaft, etc..Anyway I took it out today for the first time and it was no less than a weapon on the water, it was so darn fast it was scary and all the yamaha and sea doo buffs on the lake took notice as this red weapon just zipped by them. My question and concern is about the stability of the ski, not when I'm up to speed on the lake but when leaving and returning to the dock, it seems I have to do a major balancing act, when you get on the craft and leave the dock it tends to want to roll from one side to the other to the point you feel like its going to tip over on you and I'm constantly shifting my weight back and forth to keep it stable until I can get going, the same thing happens when you return to the dock, when I idle in toward the dock I'm doing that same balancing act trying to stablize the ski to keep it from tipping over on me. Also I noticed at idle speeds the stern is all the way under water and sits about 8 to 10" under water until I start to take off, then it comes back up again. Is all this normal for the 97 Daytona 1000 to do this or is there a problem with it that I need to address? I have a 96 Monte Carlo and a 98 TS1000L and neither have this stability problem at low or drifting speeds. The ski is not taking on water and I did have my son on the ski with me and our combined weight is about 300 lbs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 97 Daytona 1000 stability question

Thats normal for the 1000's two seater hulls just like a SeaDoo GSX or Kawasaki ZXI.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Is there any way to over come it, or is it like learning to ride a bike, once you learn to balance the craft it stops rolling from side to side? I'll be honest, when I came up to the dock today, it started to roll all the way over on its side and I jumped off in the cold water and the ski righted itself with my 9 year old son still on it before it had a chance to go completely over. I thought to myself if I have to deal with this every time I take it out, this ski is outta here and on eBay.

Comment

Nothing you do to the ski will change this when you are at idle speed. You may want to sell it and get a three seat hull like your others but they won't turn as sharp or run as fast at the two seaters unless the water is very rough.

Comment

Well I already have two 3 seaters so I don't think I will want another 3 seater. The water was very rough today and the Daytona jarred me and my son all over the place, but when we did find a smooth spot that Daytona 1000 got with the program quick and really blistered the water. I guess it was built more for performance than pleasure and for a 25 year old hot dogger instead of a 55 year old dad. I guess I will just sell it as its more ski than I think I really want to deal with.
          Last edited by davidmac; 05-29-2005, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Yea it was realy ment for a single rider only.

Comment

i can confirm your stability problems. I just bought a TS 1000cc Daytona, and didnt do much research on it before purchasing. I put it in the river the day i bought it and my girl friend and i hopped on, and the daytona started rolling side to side really bad. i couldnt get it started, and a small wave caught us and we both fell into the freezing cold water. We got back on and the same thing happened we fell in again. I must have looked like an idiot. I let the TS drift into shore, and we swam after it. When i got to shore i found it was also filled with about three gallons of water, so that must have aided in its unstability. I launched it again a week after the incident and it filled up with water again. I have a major leak somewhere. The private party told me nothing of the problem and now im stuck with a junk jet ski.:emoticonc I know you rebuilt your TS where should i start looking for leaks?

Comment

I say stay with it. You'll learn to keep it balanced without even thinking about
                it with a few more hours under your belt.

Comment

As far as balance - yes it is the first hurdle to jump when learning to ride two up on less than a 3-seater (the true two up machines). SO much depends on the passenger though, that's what really makes or breaks the two-up experience. I used to think it was weight, until I had a 90 lbs chcik on the back that felt like she was TRYING to tip us over, and then had a 220 lbs chick on the back that I literally didn't feel was there. If they can remain loose, flow with the bumps and rolls, and not constantly be leaning to the side to see around you - it's cake. If they remain ridgid, squeezing you, not feeling the water, leaning side to side - you're in for a ride.

As for take off, get the driver on first and setup to start. If the ski is not capable of immediately starting in the water, it's going to be more difficult. If you are properly tuned and it will fire as soon as you touch the start button, it's cake. After you are set, have the passenger start to board, keeping the ski as balanced as possible. As soon as they have a hand on the boaridng handle and a knee on the platform, start the ski and give it about 10% throttle. Just as a bike is stable when moving, so is your ski. Keep the slow aceleration going as they mount and you don't tip. For slower areas such as a dock, you'll just need to practice, and keep it barely above idle.

When idling with two up, don't make sharp turns if you don't have to, this is when it's least stable. be aware that waves from the side will roll you more easily. Any water in the hull greatly effects stability.
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

the daytona can't be any worse than the sea doo HX. That took some skill. :P
                    Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

Comment

thom, I hear those had problems around the seam, under the guard.

Comment

Best thing would be to put it on the trailer and run it on the flush hose and check for internal water leaks if none then put 2-3" of water inside the ski and look for where it leaks out.

If you still cant find it then wipe it out until it is dry then back it in the water straped down to the trailer with the seat off and look to see where the water is comeing in at. If no water after 10min then start it let it idle and check again.

Comment

Well I gave up on the Daytona 1000 balancing act and sold it locally to a 25 year old hot dogger, he said after rolling it over and falling off a few times, he finally got the hang of it and now has no problems balancing it. As for me I just purchased a 99 TS1100R and will be picking it up tomorrow, don't know what to expect out of it as I have never owned one, but I guess I will find out. Any one out there own a TS1100R? Is it stable, is it fast?

Comment

The Daytona 1000 I just sold had a leak and was taking on water big time, turned out to be a crack in the hull where the right sponson bolts to the hull, appearently the previous owner slammed the sponson into a dock or something and cracked the hull right at the bolt fasteners. Had it reglassed and has not leaked a drop since.
                            Last edited by davidmac; 06-17-2005, 10:20 PM.

Comment

It's a very good performing ski when it runs, it was the first one wholy designed by Tigershark, just before they went out of business. Seriously bear this in mind - there is NO ecconomical support for that engine. If you blow it you are looking at around $2500+ to rebuild it, unlike all the other engines. There were only a handful produced new, and there is no aftermarket support for replacement parts, and they are different than the 1000's. Take very good care of it, because you'll spend more than it's worth if it ever needs much work.
                              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X