sinking datona 1000 '97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sinking datona 1000 '97

I bought a lemon, not a tigershark, and the lemon doesnt even float.
    My tigershark, with a new sbt rebuilt engine that i just bought from a private party sinks when in water within minutes of putting in. This happens even when it is not ruinning. I have no idea where the hole is. I noticed after buying it that the side bumper strip that bonds the hull to the top of the jet skii was packed with silicone sealant, and that was it. I sealed the whole back half of the skii with marine silicone sealant, put new steering seals on the steering rod, sealed the intake grate and metal plate behind it, yet it still takes on about three gallons of water in 5 minutes. Is this normal for the rest of you tigershark owners out there, or is it just mine? I have no idea where to look now, I have checked most hoses, linkages, and the hull but found nothing obvious. The dealership wants $700 to find the leak and upwards of $2000 to seal the hole. I only paid 2300 for the thing.

Any help or suggestions on what to do or where to look next would be appreciated.

Re: sinking datona 1000 '97

Can you say rip off by the dealer?

Anyway with the ski on the trailer and tilting up fill up the ski with water and see where it is comeing out. Now report baack and we can tell you the best way to fix it.

Make sure not to add so much water it gets into the top of the carbs. Also support the rear of the trailer so it does not flip over.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Tigershark had a big lawsuit because of the Daytona's 1000 sinking, check the bildge pump, sometimes they draw water into the boats while just sitting, add some soap into the ski, maybe you might be able to see bubbles and seal the leak if there are other problems.

Comment

This is thom again. i just took the rear of my daytona apart and found that the drive shaft seal is fried. The rear part of the seal is half missing and it looks like it either got too hot or is just plain worn out. Do you think that it could leak 5 gal in 5 min if that seal is bad? I got a brand new one for $58.00 and im going to put it in right after i get a new impeller and wear ring. Anyone out there have a new wear ring and impeller for a 1997 daytona 1000? My factory service manual says to replace them as a set. Should i? Or could i just use the old wear ring with a new impeller?

let me know please.

Comment

Get the new impeller thae mesure to see if you need a wear ring. Chances are you will since the impeller is worn unless it het something big and just bent a blade.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
          X