cavitation or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cavitation or what?

Wanted first to say thanks for the help last time.

The neighbor took the 96 Tigershark Monte Carlo 640 and managed to get into some weeds and shallow water. She says that as she was coming back there was "smoke??" coming out with the water from the jet drive and the sled would not go very fast. I checked underneath when we got it out of the water and found 2 tiny strands of weed on one of the impeller blades surface and some what I would consider very minor rock chips on the leading blade edges of the impeller blades. I put it back in the water and the engine revs but there is only 10 to 15% of water outputwith lots of bubbles mixed in the output water. So I removed the pump to check for sheared splines on the driveshaft and they are fine. Next removed the rear rubber nosecone bearing seal and found water inside. When I spin the impeller it sounds like a slightly bad bearing noise just like a car alternator bearing thats going bad. Am I heading in the right direction?? How do I remove the bearing(s)? It looks to me like it might be set up similar to a car rear differential with a front and rear bearing thats preloaded on the pinoin shaft with a crush sleeve but the bearing I can see looks like a sealed flat bearing instead of a tapered roller cage and race set up like a differential has. Also the outer housing that the impeller blades seal against has some scratches from sand going thru it but it doesn't look like its ground down and the edges of the impeller blades look ok too. How much clearance should there be between the blades and the housing?? .0010 .0015 inches?? Your turn

Re: cavitation or what?

A bent impeller blade would cause that. No more than 1mm clearence from the impeller to wear ring but that is at the far end and new it more like .5mm.

If there is water inside the jet pump housing than you need to rebuild it with new bearings and seals before the bearing seizes and damages the housing and shaft.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

OK so how do I get the bearings out?

When you say wear ring is there supposed to be a wear ring in the housing? If I can't see it would that mean the sand has ground it to junk?

Comment

I have the $200 special tool but if you don't then you will need to move the engine out of the way or pull the pump from the ski so you can pull and replace the bearings and seals with a slide hammer.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
        X