Name that Part...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that Part...

I just finished disassembling a 1994 Tigershark Barracuda.
    (Removing gas tank with bad gas was fun...)

I see that it has a white tube like plastic cylinder about 12" long and 4" in diameter with a Red Cap under both the water outlet and bilge outlet.

What are these ???
    Some kind of Ballast ???

As far as I can tell they are empty and affixed to the hull

I've search the service manual and this forum but I have not found any info on these...

I can take pictures in needed.

Thanks
    Dennis

Re: Name that Part...

I'm pretty sure they are torpedo tubes.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
    Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

Originally posted by dowkk
      I'm pretty sure they are torpedo tubes.
      Good Guess but they are sealed - except for red screw on cap on each...

Comment

pics...
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
          pics...
          Won't be able to post picts until after work tonight...

Thanks
          Dennis

Comment

It is an extra fuel rod storage compartment....The older model Tigers were notorius for having bad fuel guages,,,when the nuclear fuel unexpectedly ran out you just made sure the Coast Guard wasn't looking and tossed the spent rods overboard and voila!,,,,,under the seat,,,new fuel rods.:emoticons ....back up and runnin lickety split,:emoticont ,,,,the nuclear powered ski's fell out of favor because of the extra weight of the lead suite required for refueling,,they were slugs....not fast at all.;) ...............................................jus t kiddin,,,,:emoticonc

Comment

Not a stock item? Do you have acces to them from the front hatch and can you get the caps off? Maybe someone added them for extra storage?
              Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Originally posted by dank
                Not a stock item? Do you have acces to them from the front hatch and can you get the caps off? Maybe someone added them for extra storage?
                Extra storage for what...

Nothing runs to them or away from them and they are tucked away in an almost impossible position to reach... (Yes from the Hatch)

They are really hard to see especially when you have the oil and fuel tanks in.
                My tanks are removed right now so I'll slip back out to the garage with the digital and take a couple of pics...

I can get the caps off - they are plastic and threaded and there appears to be nothing inside them....

Maybe I stumbled across an old drug running Ski or something...

Nuclear Fuel Rods and Torpedo Tubes - quite the group of clowns we have here - I like it :)

Be right back
                Dennis

Comment

OK a pict is worth a thousand words (so they say)
                  Here is 2K's worth

BTW - after taking a closer look at the tubes/bags and reopening them up again I now noticed that they are full of what looks like that self-rising foam...

They are stiff as a board and like I said very well hidden - the caps are not screw but simple push in type - Sure looks factory to me - maybe it was some saftety thingy added at some point...

Nothing to major just one of those "what the H e double toothpicks" is that kind of thing...

Later
                  Dennis
                  Attached Files

Comment

LOL - can't say I've ever seen that - but it wouldn't suprise me if Tigershark did something so cheesy :)
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Those are "bladders" used during manufacture of the ski, they are usually filled with expanding foam, the idea is to keep the foam in the area it was intended to be in.Notice how nicely that they fit between the upper deck and the lower hull assembly? They were intended to add flotation, and at the same time eliminate contact between the halves of the ski. Almost all marine vehicles use this method somewhere in their hull manufacturing process.
                      John Kubiak
                      Powersports Technical Training Professional
                      Las Vegas, Nevada
                      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X