Magneto Case Bladder leaks oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magneto Case Bladder leaks oil?

My 95 Tigershark has oil appearing on the bottom of the engine mount plate after I have run it for a few minutes using the garden hose and turned the engine off.

I took a picture (because I could not stand on my head to see where it was coming from) and saw that it appears that the oil is coming from the Magneto Case Bladder. The oil appears as if it was mixed slightly with water, not grey or white, just a light shade of blue. What is this bladder and what is going on?

Perhaps the oil is coming from above the bladder and dripping down making it look like it was the bladder. If this were a drop or two that would be one thing but this tends to be enough that I would not want to discharge it into a lake.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

AngryBlues
    Attached Files

Re: Magneto Case Bladder leaks oil?

Pull the inspection cap off the top of the mag case and make sure someone did not fill it with oil. Next thing would be an oil pump that is leaking oil into the mag case but I have never seen that before.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Dank,

I looked into the inspection hole and saw that things were oily- but it wasn't topped off with oil. I then pulled the oil pump off and saw oil on the wrong side of the seal. The seal looks good so I figured the oil was coming from the magneto case. I unscrewed the 6 bolts and then gently tapped it with a piece of wood to seperate the cover from the case. Oil poured out! I guesstimate about a cup of oil is now in the bottom of my ski.

Here are my questions:

1. I now have the cover off, what do you recommend I do to clean things up?

2. Without the previous owners history, do I assume that he poured oil into the inspection hole? It sure looks like a place someone might want to put oil. Grrrr.....

3. How would I ever know if the pump is leaking into the magneto case?

Thank you for bailing me out!!!!!!!!!

AngryBlues
      Last edited by AngryBlues; 08-06-2005, 11:37 PM. Reason: update

Comment

spray out the case with some contact cleaner but dont wash off the starter bendix it needs some lube.

You can tell if the oil pump is leaking if you clean it and then let it sit overnite and it startrs dripping oil. It may only drip when it is spinning and that may be hard to tell. You could always go to premix and solve all the problems at once.

If the oil is very dirty and black then it is comeing from the front crank seal and it will need to be replaced.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I sprayed out the case with contact cleaner.

The oil pump didn't drip overnight but as you say, perhaps it only leaks when it is spinning. Last night in bed I came up with the idea of putting a drill motor on it to see if I could induce a leak but forgot about that idea until I got everything reassembled. (sigh)

The oil was all clean and blue which tells me that it was either a leak from the pump or someone decided to fill the mag case with oil. The front crank seal and I are still strangers! :)

I started the machine up and it has a slight hesitation going from idle to full throttle but I will worry about that another time. For now, it seems all is well.

As I am not Plastic Man, I could not get the bladder off so there is still some oil in there. I believe that in time it will disappear. What is that thing for anyway?!

Thanks again for all your help!

AngryBlues

Comment

Working...
          X