Sank my shark!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sank my shark!

Hii folks! Been here a while looking at posts, and have gotten a lot of good hints... Now I need HELP!!! Last Sat night, my wife and I decided to take our boat out for the night, and to leave our jetski at dock. When we came back to dock the bottom end of the ski was under water, and the waterlevel in the compartment was over the base of the engine. I DID NOT try to start the ski, and swam it up to shore. I put it on the trailer, let her dry overnight, and went back to the owners manual.

Mine is a 97 Tigershark Daytona 770. The next morning, I put her on the battery charger for an hour or so, changed the plugs, and flushed the cooling system. I also SLOWLY turned the engine with the plugs out to expell any water in the base. After this I put everything back together and fired her up for a few seconds in the drivway. She took a while to fire up as I would expect, but did so after about five minutes.

From her we went back to the lake, put her in the water and started her up. She starts right up, and I let her idle and putt around the marina for a bit to burn out any moisture. When she seemed warm I took her for a ride accross the lake, and she ran great. On the way back the temp light came on so I took it REALLLLLYYYY slow back in. When I got in I while still in the water I removed the seat, and could hear water trickle in. I found that there is water coming in around the inner side of what I believe is the float bearing. It is a hard rubber feeling assembly attached to the crack shaft with grease fitting on top? I suspect that this leak is why she sank on Sat night. Any ideas on what a new one will run me? What is that part? and woulf this cause my engine to overheat?

Also on the heating issue. I took the ski out of the water, again flushed the cooling system, cleaned the screen, and even with the water running through her being cold coming out the back, she still has the temp light on??? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
    Fred

Re: Sank my shark!

That is a common part to wear out. It will wear fast if you don't grease it often.

The part number is 0775-063 and they are around $75
    Call a local Arctic Cat dealer to order or an online source.

If you don't already have the driveshaft update then you should get 0673-166 also. It will come with a new driveshaft/engine coupler and spacers and washers. You can tell if you have the old style if the old driveshaft is splined at both ends. The new style screws into the engine dampner and wont strip out like the old style.

On the overheating does the light come on when you first start it or does it tak e awhile before it comes on? Also does the exhaust pipe get very hot when the light is on? If so then you either have a blocked hose or fitting or a split and leaking cooling line or water filter. Check it while the engine is running to see if you can find a leak.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Sry it took a while to respond, have been out of town on work. I went out this evening and started the ski in the driveway with water hooke up. Even before it strarted, the temp light is on. Once the engine starts, the light just stays on. Any suggestions?

Comment

Unpluf the tems sensor back at the rear electrical box and test agin. If light is off then the sensor is bad/melted or the wire is shorted. I have used ones for $30
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Many of the circuits used today are "electronically" controlled rather than "electrically" controlled. What this means is, the amount of electricity used to activate a circuit is far, far less than the old days. Water may have entered a wire connector (or other device) and the light (actually a LED) is cross circuiting enough to light. As Dank said, unplug connectors to see when the light goes out. Also check those connectors for seals around where the wires enter the backs and the connector mouths for the seal ring. Someone before you may have been sloppy in their workmanship.

Comment

Working...
          X