Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Daytona 770 - Pre-mix

Hi,
    Just got the above ski - modded for pre-mix.

The guy said he ran it on "Quicksilver" brand oil. I can get that ok here in the uk - but i need to know if it should be the 2-stroke outboard oil OR the Quicksilver PCW oil?

HELP!

The pcw oil says on the can sommit like "if your ski manual says use type w3??? (not 100% on the code) then use the 2-stroke oil"

I'm a complete noob at this so any help would be good. Is it wise to change the brand of oil (I'm thinking stick with the current one would be better). So could some one please give me a quote from the manual if possible.

Thanks
    Always on the hunt for servicable Tigershark 770 Daytona (1996 & 1997) parts. Complete CDI anyone?? '97 I need EVERYTHING motor related... Including the Motor :)

Re: 1996 Daytona 770 - Pre-mix

A noob??? Nahhhh, you're being smart! Oil is the lifeblood of these things.

The 98 770 manual is not very specific. They list the Arctic Cat 50:1 Injection Oil.

I use the synthetic "extreme" Cat oil. I started with this to avoid any warranty issues when my boat was new. The Extreme oil container says nothing more than 50:1.

Any synthetic oil will wear better than a standard 2-cycle oil. I presume your engine is broken in, so synthetic oil should be fine.

I think you're looking for an oil rating system, to compare one against the other. As far as I know, no such animal exists. This is made more complex by the fact of oil/lube standards are not always identical USA vs Europe. The same oil company will have differing products.

Quicksilver is a Mercury outboard product name. I am not familiar with the PCW designation.

Comment

rdjeep - Many thanks for the reply.

The quicksilver 2-stroke oil is semi sinthetic and about $9.20 per litre

The quicksilver PCW FULLY sinthetic oil is about $22.56 per litre.

Now i know we get REAL screwed by government taxes over here, relating to fuel etc. But i thought someone would be able to tell from the different prices weither i should be using the cheaper semi-sinthetic, or the VASTLY more expensive fully sinthetic.

Thanks
      Always on the hunt for servicable Tigershark 770 Daytona (1996 & 1997) parts. Complete CDI anyone?? '97 I need EVERYTHING motor related... Including the Motor :)

Comment

I have used the Yamalube 2W oil which is a semi sythetic for five years in both of my TS 770's and have had no problems at all. 40:1 is what I mix it at in case I use it in the boat with a Johnson 150 outboard.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Guess I'd have to say, how good is the engine? Is compression high? If so, it may be worth spending the extra to keep it in good shape. How do you ride? Always in a group or solo? If you broike down on the water, how will you get back to dock?

I think in either case, these oils offer far better protection. Keep in mind that a marine engine is always under high loads. And let's face it, we all beat our boats at one point or another, adding another stress factor. Now throw in high rpm, and you better have good oil, in the right dilution.

Comment

dank & rdjeep Thanks for your replys.

So what your both saying is - dont skimp on the oil, dont use cheap - use the best possible!

I see your point. It will be ridden quite hard, apart from towing the kids on rings - i quite like the idea of taking it out in force 6-7 conditions for some jumping. 99% of the riding will be done in salt water too, as i live 200 metres from the English Channel :)

dank - any luck with the Daytona parts yet? (frame arrestors etc), hope the holiday weekend went well for everyone..... Unless you live on the gulf coast:(

Comment

Just had a better look at the ski today - apart from the fact it runs well, i think its been badly looked after :(

It looks to me like the wiring was done DIY style you wouldnt belive what the previous owner did to the MAG side sparkplug lead:emoticonr

Before i take some pictures of the insides - i was wondering if anyone would be willing to look them over and give me their diagnosis (please, just dont say my ski needs "putting down")

Thanks for all the help.... trust me their is NO resource like this in the uk. I want to learn as much as possible, but dont wanna upset the forums regular users by asking dumb questions.

Many thanks people

Dale

Comment

I'll look if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by rdjeep
                  I'll look if you want.
                  Great!

Pitch black here now 21:04 hrs. Will upload 6-10 pics of the inside in about 12hrs time.

Thanks rdjeep :)

Comment

I'll look if you want.
                    Here you go then :)

One of the pics you can make out the fuel line 1/4 inch marine stuff, i take it thats correct. Also could someone check the fuel filter pic too?

And if someone out there would be so kind at to take a few pics of their 770 daytona 1996 so i can see how it should look !

Many thanks people
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jetski-junkie; 09-07-2005, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Ok, here we go....

Top row, left: Yes it is a fuel filter, but it is not perfroming that function here. It is filtering air the enters the oil or fule tank as the level drops. Shortly after this filters, you should see an in-line disk check valve.

Top row, middle: You see one of two sensor wires for the Micro Touch rev limiter. I would imagine these should only wrap around the sparking plug wire, not pierce it. This is how the limiter senses engine speed.

Top row, right: In the left of the pic is the Micro Touch rev limiter. The sealer around the sparking plug wires indicates someone was in there before and found a problem with a leak, or there may be a grommet/seal missing.

Middle row, left: Is that the old "Let's wrap it in tape, and forget about it" trick?? Hard to tell from the pic, but if the pink and black wires go in there, that may something to do with the fuel level sender (based on wire colors for '98 770).

Middle row, right: Not sure what's inside the nifty aluminium piece, but that is where the stock cooling water filter should be. Is the right-hand circuit breaker reset button skin missing, or just squashed?

Bottom row, left: You can just seee one of those in-line disk checks in the upper right-hand corner of the pic. Fuel lines are not large in diameter, these don't consume that much fuel. As long as the line is marked for fuel. For fuel injected boats, it must be fuel injected line for the pressure requirement. My boat has 1/4".

last one: The Micro Touch rev limiter. A short web search nailed this one somewhat. The description also says something about timing adjustment too. Not really familiar with this brand, you'll have to do some research. The stock CDI box had a rev limiter, is it dead or does the device do more than limit? In other words, is it a mask for some other failure?

Overall, not too bad a condition.

Comment

Ok, here we go....

Top row, left: Yes it is a fuel filter, but it is not perfroming that function here. It is filtering air the enters the oil or fule tank as the level drops. Shortly after this filters, you should see an in-line disk check valve.
                        Should i just remove this filter and block off the line?

Top row, middle: You see one of two sensor wires for the Micro Touch rev limiter. I would imagine these should only wrap around the sparking plug wire, not pierce it. This is how the limiter senses engine speed.
                        So i have a rev limiter sensor missing, i thought some clown had just bodged on a wire to do the HT leads (wire) job! guess i'm gonna need a new one then. Whilst on the subject, is it possible to get the Plug wire(s) (HT LEADS here in England) on their own? all the micro-fich i have seen shows the leads & coil as one unit? The plug caps.... Can i use ANY cap? the revised part number that comes up, again from micro-fich, does not exist in the NGK database :(

Top row, right: In the left of the pic is the Micro Touch rev limiter. The sealer around the sparking plug wires indicates someone was in there before and found a problem with a leak, or there may be a grommet/seal missing.
                        yea, i see what you mean... Not being a 'petrol head' in any sence of the word, i thought i would go for the more simple problems first, without trying to do all the jobs at once! but i WILL get around to it...

Middle row, left: Is that the old "Let's wrap it in tape, and forget about it" trick?? Hard to tell from the pic, but if the pink and black wires go in there, that may something to do with the fuel level sender (based on wire colors for '98 770).
                        As it was modded for pre-mix by the previous owner, i was assuming the blue tape covered the sensor/wiring for the (no longer there) oil tank. When my service manual shows up i will try and investigate more.

Middle row, right: Not sure what's inside the nifty aluminium piece, but that is where the stock cooling water filter should be. Is the right-hand circuit breaker reset button skin missing, or just squashed?
                        Think i'll remove/bin that lump and get a new one. Cover IS missing, as there should be one, i take it i am gonna have to get a replacement!

Bottom row, left: You can just seee one of those in-line disk checks in the upper right-hand corner of the pic. Fuel lines are not large in diameter, these don't consume that much fuel. As long as the line is marked for fuel. For fuel injected boats, it must be fuel injected line for the pressure requirement. My boat has 1/4".
                        In-line disk checks - i see what your talking about, never heard of them and dont understand their function... Does it stop reverse flow or something?

last one: The Micro Touch rev limiter. A short web search nailed this one somewhat. The description also says something about timing adjustment too. Not really familiar with this brand, you'll have to do some research. The stock CDI box had a rev limiter, is it dead or does the device do more than limit? In other words, is it a mask for some other failure?

Overall, not too bad a condition.
                        So the micro touch rev-limiter is NOT a factory fitted piece. As you say, that would indicate a problem with the CDI unit...... Does anyone have a FULLY functioning CDI unit for this ski they want to sell?

And finaly, a HUGE thank you for taking the time to look over the 'guts' of my ski for me..... If you ever see anything in England you need, gimmie a shout - MORE than willing to help you get it :)

Dale

Comment

[QUOTE=Jetski-junkie]Should i just remove this filter and block off the line?
                          No. It's fine like it is. Fuel won't run out of the tank to the engine if you do!

So i have a rev limiter sensor missing, i thought some clown had just bodged on a wire to do the HT leads (wire) job! guess i'm gonna need a new one then.
                          No, there is no sensor missing. The wire IS the sensor, so to speak. The spark pulse induces a signal in the adjoining sensing wire.

Whilst on the subject, is it possible to get the Plug wire(s) (HT LEADS here in England) on their own? all the micro-fich i have seen shows the leads & coil as one unit? The plug caps.... Can i use ANY cap?
                          No, you can't use any old plug cap. The stock pieces contain a resistor (5000 ohm for '98). This is why it is sold as an assembly.

In-line disk checks - i see what your talking about, never heard of them and dont understand their function... Does it stop reverse flow or something?
                          Correct! A check valve allows flow in only one direction. Internally they can be a ball, flap, or disk.

So the micro touch rev-limiter is NOT a factory fitted piece. As you say, that would indicate a problem with the CDI unit...... Does anyone have a FULLY functioning CDI unit for this ski they want to sell?
                          It may indicate there was a problem, but it may be just a case of the previous owner wanted some feature the factory CDI unit didn't offer.

Comment

Working...
                          X